Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

How to identify a Dana 60

Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How to identify a Dana 60

ORIGINAL: LeigerReign

So I ramble a bit and I wanted to sum up some of my questions..
What are the benefits of cross over steering?
If 4WD isnt engaged, locking the front axle without locking the hubs shouldnt cause a drop in MPG should it?

I installed a new steering stabilizer the other day, the truck doesnt wander as much but there is still a noticeable problem in the steering. I can turn the sterring wheel a good 2-3 inches before I get any tire movement at all. This isnt normal on older trucks like this is it??

Well thanks for the overwhelming response from everyone. The sites you've provided have been a plethora of information and its really helped me a lot.
When you swap in a new front axle most guys will also move the axle from above the springs to below the springs. This gives you more ground clearance. When you do that, the steering linkage now hits the springs or binds up when flexing. To eliminate that problem the fix is cross over steering. In other words, your moving the steering to over the springs, on top of the springs. Thats the over part, the cross part is moveing the linkage to the steering box from the drivers side to the passengers side. This change gives you better steering angles and you wont get bumpster. Search for that term on the web. Since your going with a Chevy D60 make sure it has flat top knuckles. With the flat top knuckles you get a kit to bolt on the cross over steering arms. You may have to have the holes drilled and tapped int eh knuckle, but that will be cheaper then buying a new knuckle. There are a lot of new terms in here. Keep reading on Pirate and K5 web sites. You'll see pics and soon understand what I am talking about.

As for your steering problem, it could one of any number of things or it could be just one thing. The best thing to do is take your truck into an aligment shop and get a free front end inspection. Ask to have the tech show you the problem and while they are showing you, ask questions until you understand. Then decline the work at the moment and come back here and post up what they found out. Most estimates are good for 30 days, ask. Most places understand not everybody has the money and they usually come back when they do. Nor do they care if you fix it on your own. You will usually retunr to them for something else, like the alignment after the parts have been replaced. Its all about keeping customers, repeat business is much easier to maintain then seeking out new customers.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:08 PM
LeigerReign is an unknown quantity at this point

okay so the dad says cross over steering is a go when we install the D60. Ive read tons of stuff on Pirate and K-5. There really is so much information out there its hard to comprehend it all. I keep having to go outside and look at the parts on my truck for reference. The steering box is going to be replaced anyways, my dad wants to do that. I told him it would be a good idea to reinforce the frame and he told me if I made it, he would help me weld it on. After I get the new box in, ill update you and let you know if the problem goes away. If not ill have the front end inspected and follow your advice. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome. Take some pics of teh repiar and new steering box. Everytime I do a project I take pics and create a thread for it. That way others can see what I am doing, and ofer up tips, or ask questions. I think I have one on this site about rebuilding a 4L60E tranny. Youd have to search for it to find it.