Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Looking for the rolls royce of AC compressors

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:57 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for the rolls royce of AC compressors

Hi Guys,

What's the best AC compressor (that will fit my 90' k5) that money can buy?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Sanden Compressors are great. (Not Sanden Style either) I converted my 89 S15 Jimmy from the Pancake style (OEM) to actual Sanden (Axial). AC blows much colder. Runs quitter. Pulls less of a load when it kicks on. The key is having brackets to mount the compressor and new hoses made up. https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...upgrade-92117/

Summit Racing sells actual Sanden Compressors.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Starting Member

This is the 2nd time i hear Sanden compressors are great, thank you very much!
Is there any chance you can refer me to the specific compressor & bracket kit on Summit?

Also, i noticed in your upgrade thread that you replaced the switch and orifice. i know the orifice needs to be replaced every time you open the A/C system but can you explain why you had to replace the switch?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

I would purchase everything indidually. Sanden 508 with the correct pulley for your truck. Search for Sanden 508 brackets for your truck. Once mounted you can have an A/C shop make custom hoses for you and charge the system. Optional would be pressure switch, Receiver/Dryer and orfice tube. I installed a Variable Orfice tube that operates well at Idle and at speed.

Last edited by mr.vls; 06-12-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...-vma/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-141805

You will have to get the correct Sanden compressor with your pulley configuration.
I have attached the links.

Note: This is the exact compressor I purchased. My serpentine belt is 6 groove. I just have the belt not using the last groove. Works Great. I did have to buy a longer belt to fit right.

The switch came with a kit and was calibrated for R134. (Not sure if it made a difference or not) Get a Variable orfice tube and you will not regret it.

Last edited by mr.vls; 06-12-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Do a google search on Variable Orfice Tubes. I purchased mine from Rock Auto.

More Information for ACDELCO 1550120

Last edited by mr.vls; 06-12-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Starting Member

Thank you very much man!!
This is super helpful.. i'm adding all of this to my purchase list

Really, thanks alot!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 AM

I did my Conversion last year and I live in Biloxi, MS and the summer heat is here and the AC system is performing flawlessly. This will be the 2nd summer with the conversion. The conversion cost me way more than it should have as I bought a kit that I thought I could make it work for my Jimmy but ended buying individual pieces. I ended up making my own hoses, buying a different Accumulator, Orfice Tube and Compressor. The only parts I used from the kit was the pressure switch and the mounting brackets. I purchased hose material and fittings and a hose crimper on Ebay. When I was finished I sold the Hose Crimper on ebay. On my Jimmy the hood clearance is limited so I found out that you can get "Short Drop Fittings" for the compressor end which allowed me to mount the compressor with the oil plug facing up.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM

This is the link for the short drop fittings I purchased on ebay which allows for a very tight 90 degree turn from the top of the compressor. I would purchase these and provide them to the AC shop for the hoses and these are not the most common fittings.

BEADLOCK FITTINGS, 'SHORT DROP' CRIMP ON, FEMALE O RING, 90 DEGREE #8 | eBay
BEADLOCK FITTINGS, 'SHORT DROP' CRIMP ON,FEMALE O RING, 90 DEGREE #10 SB1323SD

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Starting Member

I was going to ask you about the hoses and fittings, but you beat me to it thanks for the info!!
I'm planning to replace every single component in the system except the evaporator which is just a few years old - the thing is i'm not sure which components are limited to the old R12 gas and for which it doesn't matter, from the research you did and knowledge you've gained, any idea if this should be replaced to? (since i'm planning to use R134a).

Also, in my current system i don't have an expansion value. do you know if this should be purchased and fitted as well?

Quick Reply: Looking for the rolls royce of AC compressors