Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

need a/c, not sure where to post

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 AM
Starting Member
bottledskyy is on a distinguished road
Default need a/c, not sure where to post

i live in las vegas, it's very hot. i have a 1976 k5 i want to put a/c in, it didnt come with it... i have a 1977 parts truck with a/c thats been sitting a long time. where can i go to learn what parts to use and how to put a/c in my truck? i can't afford $1,000 or more for a conversion kit. please let me know if there is a place where i can learn to do it myself..... thank you

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to be good at fabrication if you want to swap factory A/C into a non-factory A/C truck. You must cut new holes in the firewall while welding up some of the old holes. The firewall openings are different between the two. I am planning on doing this with my '74 and will have both vehicles side by side while I do it. I will be cutting out the entire firewall section surrounding the HVAC housing from the donor and welding that into place on my truck when the time comes.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
bottledskyy is on a distinguished road

thank you... ive only done stick welding and never on cars, should i do mig or tig or is there a better one for cars?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

MIG will be more than sufficient for that type of work. Stick doesn't work so well with sheetmetal. TIG definitely is nice, but expensive and takes practice, experience, and often patience.