Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

new guy with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
xombiemobil is on a distinguished road
Default new guy with a couple questions

hey guys i just purchased a 1991 K5 Scottsdale thats been painted a satin black (inside and out). it sits on 33's and i am hooked on it. i have a couple of questions i was hoping to get answered and i apologize if they are redundant.

first- my back window rolls all the way down and then will roll 1/4 to 1/2 the way back up and then acts as if its jammed itself there (apparently the rear windows a big problem with these according to my buddy).

second- my driver window will only roll down about 2 inches (with force) and if i mess with it long enough i can get it down almost all the way but then it is stuck down.

third- ive been told it probably has a 4in lift on it (im 6'2 and have to lift up pretty far to get in) would this make it ride pretty stiff? ive noticed when i go over good sized bumps in the highway the whole truck kinda sways and the impact is pretty rough. OH and the previos owner decided to cut the rear seat belts that drop from the ceiling (so if anyone has any idea where i can get new ones by all means dont hesitate)

sorry to sound like a newbie (never had a squarebody before) and thanks in advance for any help you guys give

Last edited by xombiemobil; 02-16-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM

also PICS!!! (the tint came with the blazer and has been removed)

Attached Thumbnails new guy with a couple questions-blazer3_zps03d2d94e.jpg   new guy with a couple questions-blazer_zpsea5460da.jpg   new guy with a couple questions-blazer4_zps47c0b8eb.jpg   new guy with a couple questions-blazer8_zps09e81447.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM

ok so i went and did some open-gate surgery. bypassed the safety switch thinking that was the problem, took the cable out of the motor and rolled the window up and down all the way. lubed everything up and it still wouldnt go past that point. it was while i was back there in the cargo area i realized, the top is about 1/4th of an inch off to the driver side.....the window was catching on the roof. so there goes that problem!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Glad you fixed the first problem!

second- my driver window will only roll down about 2 inches (with force) and if i mess with it long enough i can get it down almost all the way but then it is stuck down.
The window motors are not the strongest and after 20 years they do get a little worn down. Combine that with window channels that have worn over the years and could possibly have 24 years of dirt and grime and they might just be sticky. They aren't fun to clean as there are little holes in the door that are hard to get your hands in, and once they're in there you might have a hard time getting your hands out!

third- ive been told it probably has a 4in lift on it (im 6'2 and have to lift up pretty far to get in) would this make it ride pretty stiff? ive noticed when i go over good sized bumps in the highway the whole truck kinda sways and the impact is pretty rough. OH and the previos owner decided to cut the rear seat belts that drop from the ceiling (so if anyone has any idea where i can get new ones by all means dont hesitate
)

Looking at the pictures it looks like that is a stock height K5. Look at the front springs, if the spring eyes are about level with the spring perch on the axle so the springs is flat or has a little bit of a negative arch (frowny face) it is stock. For comparison this is my 86 with 31's and no lift.

And here it is with 35" tires and a 4" lift.... big difference.

Ride comfort is a component of spring selection and shock selection. If you have a stiffer spring with a soft shock valving it in theory should ride the same as a softer spring with a stiffer shock. If you get a soft spring with a soft shock or stiff with stiff you'll have an undesireable ride. Since this is a solid axle truck it will have different ride than you may be used to coming from a sedan or late model truck with IFS.
The sway could be from worn suspension components or also from the design flaw of the push pull steering design of the front axle. Basically with a very short drag link connecting the pitman arm on the steering box to the steering arm on the drivers side knuckle the relative change in suspension height, such as hitting a sharp bump or dropping an axle while articulating off road your steering angle will change with suspension cycling. You can upgrade to crossover steering but that is not cheap and requires other modifications, which may not be worth it.

Notsure where to get you new rear seat belts, those were only offered around 87 and on up. I'll guess the previous owner wanted to remove the top and thought it was easier to cut them than find the torx to remove the bolts...

Don't ever worry about asking a quesiton, unless it is about blinker fluid or muffler bearings, those are always next to the wiper blades and you should know that already.

Attached Thumbnails new guy with a couple questions-img_1443.jpg   new guy with a couple questions-img_1593.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM

Hahaah thanks for the help! Ive been a volkswagen man most of my life so this was a big change for me. I