Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

stalls during sharp turns

Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member
KB-K5 BLAZER is on a distinguished road

Ok I just bought a reconditioned Edelbrock Carb and it solved the problem with bogging at WOT and it drives awesome. So I obviously did something wrong on the Carter AFB or it could of even been the spacer, it had a open spacer when I purchased the spacer that was recommended for the GM, I noticed in the instructions they advised not to use an open spacer. With it finally running normal I was able to determine that the stalling while turning right is a short in the steering column. For now I just put the steering wheel all the way up and it works fine, it really needs to be replaced, next project.........

Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Beginning Member
KB-K5 BLAZER is on a distinguished road

Final update, I got the steering wheel tightened, and finally got the new carb tuned right. Finally running great.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member
danaandmeegz is on a distinguished road

Wou;d you suspect a carb bowl problem if my 1986 Astro Van with the 4.3L, if when I turn to the right and it stalls. It seems to be getting worse (maybe the summer heat) since i haven't seen the problem on the way to work in the morning.
I swear it will die if I turn the wheel and not even roll over 5 mph.
Left turns no problem
Recent tune up
Restarts immediately
idles smooth
Maybe something in the steering column?

I found on Google, people who fixed it with repairs to ignition switch and tilt steering column issues.
I have a tilt steering wheel that moves a lot when you press on it (I have seen the posts on fixing the screws what loosen up, just never got around to fixing it yet).
So I went out and turned the wheel and it stayed running until I pressed on the wheel and it essentially presses a lever back down that the ignition switch raises to start. Guess I will be taking it apart to fix the loose screws now.
I suspect in some cases an ignition switch is needed, but suspect the steering wheel if it moves from using it to climb into the drivers seat for decades