Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Tailgate switch out from electric to manual

Old 06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Starting Member
firebill is on a distinguished road
Smile Tailgate switch out from electric to manual

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding switching out my tailgate from electric to manual/ What do you have to do or have to complete the task? I can't seem to get the tailgate to go down just up and I need it to. Real pain so I am thinking of changing it over to manual. Seems like it is a easy switch.. Thoughts and any help would be great. Pics.??

Old 06-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The electric rear windows can be problematic. Problems range from electrical issues to broken drive shafts and crappy motors.

To get the window down, you can pull the access panel off inside and remove the driveshaft from the motor. Then, put the end of the driveshaft into the chuck and spin it in the appropriate direction to pull the window down.

There are some things you can do to make it more reliable. I will be changing over my '74 to an electric rear window and will be running a relay setup in the back gate to provide proper voltage to the motor. The original setups were pretty notorious for having excessive voltage drop. Also, running a dedicated ground to the rear gate can help tremendously. Beyond that, the block-out switch can often get in the way of things as well.

The fact that yours wants to go up, but not down would lead me to believe that there is a wiring problem between the switch and the motor. The motor has two terminals on it, the tan wire runs from the switch in the dash as well as the keyed switch in the tailgate and when powered will move the window down and the light blue wire runs from the block-out switch in the tailgate to the motor and will move the window up when powered. When the tailgate is not latched, the block-out switch should prevent the window from going up by opening the circuit between the switches (keyed & dash) and the motor.

As far as converting it to manual, you would need a manual regulator and the exterior lock/crank handle assembly. Below you will find a picture I took out of my factory parts list for my '74 that shows all of the parts in the manual lock/crank assembly:

LMCTruck.com also has most of the items listed that are required --> CLICK HERE for the appropriate page in their catalog.

Attached Thumbnails Tailgate switch out from electric to manual-20121216_204325.jpg