Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Genunine vs non-genuine replacement parts

Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
karenkolby is on a distinguished road
Default Genunine vs non-genuine replacement parts

I'm of the opinion that we should use genuine parts whenever they are available. My rationale is they should last longer, be more reliable, etc. And why use an OEM (if that's the right term) part that will wear out in 2 years and you'lll have to go thru all the replacement/repair steps again when a genuine part might have lasted 5?

The biggest downside of course is cost. Then there's finding a good source for locating genuine parts. I have been told a non-geniune part is ok to use and should "work just fine".

We need to replace the turn signal / multi-function lever right now. Next is possibly the window switches/motor, A/C or some A/C components, and back window switch/motor. And I'm sure there's going to be a laundry list of things after those.

What has been your experience? What do you think? And why do you think what you do?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to first realize that you are working on a 20+ year old vehicle. Genuine NOS (new old stock) parts are going to be slim to none. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer so it is one in the same with NOS. Aftermarket parts in some cases may be lower quality than the originals. It all depends on what you are talking about. Each item will be different.

Things like switches, the aftermarket parts should be up to snuff with the originals.

Window motors, they were hit or miss regardless of the source. OE stuff tended to be better, but finding it now is like a needle in a hay stack.

A/C components should be right there with switches. It shouldn't matter all that much.

You could try your luck with junkyard parts.

With anything, you have to choose a quality supplier to get quality parts. A lot of the stuff that is made in China or India isn't of the same quality as parts made in Europe or the US. But that is true for many different part types and not just limited to automotive topics.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
blazerbill is on a distinguished road

swartllk is correct. I'm restoring a 92 fullsize 4x4 Blazer that was one of my best friends before he passed away. Original parts are very hard to find. Ive recently come to be on a first name basis with the guy who owns a local salvage yard. He calls me whenever a blazer or truck comes in that could possibly have any parts that will fit my blazer. For the most part he has saved me a ton of dough for parts that are still quite functional. When I am done I hope to present the completly restored vehicle to his sons.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Never can go wrong with Genuine OEM ,NOS. As for you blazerbill what an Admirable thing to do with the 92 Blazer. Their are Still Good People in the World. Good Luck with the Blazer . T.J.

Last edited by 1997 red blazer; 05-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swartlkk
...A lot of the stuff that is made in China or India isn't of the same quality as parts made in Europe or the US. But that is true for many different part types and not just limited to automotive topics.
Yeah, just like computer tech support.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
karenkolby is on a distinguished road

Blazer Bill - The 89 K5 I have belonged to my dad. He passed away last year and he loved this thing. That's the only reason it's sitting in my driveway with expired plates, expired inspection, and 220K miles on it. It does run although I'm pretty certain the 350 motor in it has 150K+ miles. My goal is to have it on the beach this fall/winter, fishing with my 12 yr old son. If all goes as planned, this will also be the vehicle I use to teach my son how to drive.

Swartlkk - I hear and understand all you say, especially the China/India comment. Do you have any recommendations for sources to get good quality parts?

Great thoughts on the junkyard.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As far as suppliers go, it varies by the part type. I usually research things before I make a purchase.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'll throw my two cents in.

Some parts you really need OEM/NOS/junkyard. Others, the aftermarket has made them better and/or stronger. And then you have the aftermarket parts that are junk.

Experience will teach you which parts you can trust from where. If you don't have that experience odds are someone on here does with a particular part and supplier and would be more than willing to help out.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
blrob5 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ever ordered from Rock Auto? If so, any problems?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I order from them quite often. No problems with anything I have received. Mostly AC Delco parts though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genunine vs non-genuine replacement parts