Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
locke1992 is on a distinguished road
Angry

i have a 1989 k5 blazer that I can not get to start for the life of me. still pretty new to rebuilds/toys. im getting fuel (fuel pump and fuel relay work) to the back of the tbi and im getting spark to all spark plugs. I cleaned and rebuild my tbi, injectors censers and all new gaskets, thinking maybe that was the problem but I still cant get anything. has stock 4 speed manual and rebuild 350 if that helps. is there anything that im forgetting to check? any help is welcomed and does anyone know where a can download a good PDF manual for the 89 k5 blazer?

just adding I sprayed starting fluid in the tbi today and it started up as soon as I turned the key but it dies out when I stop adding it. so im not getting fuel to my injectors. fuel lines and filters are good, im getting fuel to the back of tbi. brand new injectors what would cause them not to spray? I know I put them in right

Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
derekbroerse is on a distinguished road

Wish you had only posted one thread on this, didn't see this one yet it contains more information....

You have a fuel delivery issue. Do you hear the pump run? Or only prime cycle? This system has an oil pressure sensor to activate the fuel pump, the intent being if there is no oil pressure it will shut the engine off, or if the truck is in an accident and the engine dies that the fuel pump doesn't keep running potentially flooding the engine and surrounding area (fire hazard). These wires need to be hooked up, and if the engine was just installed it may have been missed. There are two places you can check, one is beside the distributor by the bellhousing of the tranny, there is an oil port there. The other is down on the side of the oil filter boss. There should be two circuits, one for the oil pressure guage/light, the other for the fuel pump.

Also, potentially a distributor problem, I had this on my 4.3L Sonoma... I had spark but the injectors were not pulsing. If someone turns the key while you watch down the tbi the injectors should do pulse blasts of fuel down the bores. If you don't have this, you may have a bad reluctor ring on your distributor as this info is used by the computer to tell the injector when to fire. My 4.3L ended up needed a whole distributor, I pirated it from my parts truck. I still drive the truck every day.

Most people don't know this, I only learned it out of necessity myself. Sure had me scratching my head....! Any 87-95 TBI 305 or 350 distributor from a pickup or van should work, dime a dozen at the wreckers.

If you google this, I actually found a flow chart at one point about diagnosing this... don't remember where tho.