Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   2wd or 4wd? Which do you have (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/2wd-4wd-do-you-have-7064/)

swartlkk 10-18-2020 01:00 PM

The NV136 transfer case used in the 98+ s-series AWD Bravada was an electronic engagement tcase so it was in RWD mode most of the time, but did have a fully engaged front axle (i.e. no finicky front axle engagement system like it's Blazer/Jimmy siblings) so it did have some minor increased drag in the front axle over the 4wd brethren. When slip was detected, it would engage the front output auto-magically. I can't recall exactly what I used to get for mileage, but from what I remember it wasn't too far off from what other members with 4wd trucks were getting at the time. I do believe that the older AWD s-series trucks that used the BW4472/BW1372 had a higher parasitic drag due to the fulltime nature of the 30/70 F/R split they employed so they might have had a larger impact on mileage over the selectable 4wd optioned vehicles.

After the Bravada, I had an AWD Rainier & AWD Yukon Denali that I was able to get better fuel mileage across the board than the Bravada. The Yukon didn't do as well on long trips as the Rainier, but city it did about equal which is surprising given the almost 50% larger engine (6.2L v8 vs. 4.2L i6) and considerably larger vehicle overall.

All of this is my observation from my driving style. Your 'mileage' may vary. :icon_wink: I used to keep calendar books in each of my vehicles to keep track of all of my mileage & gallons of fuel pumped at fill ups to calculate out my mileage.

But I digress, we're getting a bit off thread topic.

TxM1009 12-31-2020 04:58 PM

4x4...when I get stuck I like to have to option to make it even worse before I call for help

Erik79 02-05-2021 10:32 AM

I got a 4wd for snow.....

mrmarkuSS 06-24-2022 11:41 AM

4 wheel low

Has anyone ever used 4 wheel low gear? I read in the manual that it is rarely used,so I was wondering what examples required using it?

AJBert 06-24-2022 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrmarkuSS (Post 742903)
Has anyone ever used 4 wheel low gear? I read in the manual that it is rarely used,so I was wondering what examples required using it?

I have used 4lo quite a many times in the past and will use it in the future many more times. I use it mainly offroad when I have a steep climb or need to get over rocks. Also use it when descending down a steep slope. Works wonders when in deep stuff, such as mud or snow, too. Pulling logs up a hill to a flat spot to load them on the trailer. Pulling another vehicle out of a ditch or stuck. I know there are other instances I have used 4lo but can't think of them at the moment.

I would never have a 4wd vehicle that doesn't have 4lo. There are just too many times when you need it IF you know when to use it.

mrmarkuSS 06-24-2022 07:17 PM

I think I had it backwards,it was 4 HI that was rarely used,if ever,that I read.

Smitty Smithsonite 06-25-2022 01:00 PM

Depends on where you live. In winter, I use mine all the time. 4 HI is used any time I'm out on a snowy or icy road. 4 LO is used around the yard pulling other stuck vehicles, or towing something heavy around my property.

Rodney gullion 11-11-2022 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikeywaynebygod (Post 50093)
ok, i totally agree with what you're saying, but it seems like everyone is telling me because i have a 4x4 to lift it instead of lower it. it's my car i'll do what i want with it.

that's right do it your way I want to see a 4x4 all-wheel drive right down on the ground with ground effects and spoiler Corvette Wheels or something similar does anybody remember the GMC Cyclone turbocharged all wheel drive the only truck to ever be in Indianapolis pace car