Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   95 & 96 the same for parts? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/95-96-same-parts-46825/)

carlosg7915 07-15-2010 06:19 AM

95 & 96 the same for parts?

hopefully buying a parts car today. is the tranny, starter, sensors, alternator the same? need to really make sure before i buy. :icon_shrug:

wlorton 07-15-2010 10:00 AM

I believe that they are similar as for the same idk, I know that the 95-97 have the same front ends, but all have the same body panels I believe.... I could be wrong..

chevy7xr 07-15-2010 12:40 PM

I'm almost positive the motor changed in 96 so you wouldnt be able to use the starter but you could use the starter from a 91-94 i know that for sure

carlosg7915 07-15-2010 05:45 PM

that suxs.. how about ball jounts, rotors, brakes, shocks, ect ect? that should all be the same right? i really plan on stripping this thing down to the bone.

blazerboy001 07-15-2010 05:54 PM

The 95 was an odd year. it's an OBD 1.5, so it definently has some differences. I'm not sure what all you could use. the others on the forum know way more than I do. They will probably jump in eventually.

Benedict1337 07-15-2010 06:42 PM

the engines in the 95's were in "transition" between the first gen 4.3's and the newer 4.3's probably a lot of components are different. I think from 96-04 everything is similar at least engine/tranny wise

old skool luvr 07-15-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by chevy7xr (Post 346244)
I'm almost positive the motor changed in 96 so you wouldnt be able to use the starter but you could use the starter from a 91-94 i know that for sure

yes the engine did change in '96, but it was only on the intake side of it.

so yes, you can use the starter.

what year is your truck, '95 or '96?

as for reusing the front end components like the bj's & tie rods.............i wouldn't-especially the bj's! the amount of work to put in bj's isn't worth putting a used one. a used bj could fail soon after installing it, and then you're doing the job twice. besides, 99 times out of 100, the boot gets f**k'd anyways.

brakes............well, rotors if they look to be in good condition (same goes for drums, if equiped)-but measure them before you get them turned. no sense paying some yahoo @ a garage to machine them, only to find out they're too thin.

i wouldn't reuse old shocks either, you have no idea what terrain the truck was driven on, or how the guy used it.

as for the rest of the driveline.................if you have the room, grabe the trans, t/case (and all related electronic's), both driveshafts (believe me, they break far easier than most people think!), the front & rear diff's-if their ratio matches what's in your truck.

carlosg7915 07-16-2010 03:46 PM

my trucks a 96 and it runs really good. i just did the lower ball joints today. i just wanted to completely strip the truck down to the bone for emergency extra parts. the kid was selling me all four wheels for 150. rims included. but then he asked me to give him my old so he could drive it to the junkyard. if a lot of things are similar i want to strip the whole thing down and just give him 300 for the truck. he says it runs but misfire a bit on the highway.

old skool luvr 07-18-2010 12:24 AM

sounds like it may be worth it.

you can always sell off the '95 specific parts to recoup some of the cost.