Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   97 blazer brake problem. Yes I already used the search function. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/97-blazer-brake-problem-yes-i-already-used-search-function-95607/)

Pontiacfieroguy 10-28-2017 01:49 PM

97 blazer brake problem. Yes I already used the search function.

My brakes suck, the previous owner replaced the master cylinder and front calipers, I tried bleeding them the other day and because I had only planned to do the front I started on the passenger front and it bleed quickly and easily, did driver front and even after an hour of gravity bleeding there was still a steady stream of bubbles so I gave up and decided to go ahead and do the rear and they also had a steady stream of bubbles for about a half hour each when I gave up. I have traced all the brake lines and didn't find any leaks. I had my buddy check it out with a scanner because the abs light is on and the only code it shows is a wheel speed sensor in the rear and his suggestion was to take off the master cylinder and bench bleed it but I'm guessing that after 2 hours of gravity bleeding at the wheels and 2 quarts of fluid through it that any bubbles that might have been in the master would have come out. If anyone has any idea what could be going on I could use the help.

Pontiacfieroguy 10-28-2017 08:52 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

richphotos 10-29-2017 01:30 AM

Please be patient when posting here :)

Could you be more specific on how your "brakes suck"

Pontiacfieroguy 10-29-2017 02:37 AM

Intermittent poor stopping performance, intermittent soft pedal, general suckiness. I don't expect to stop like a race car but it would be nice if it stopped at least as well as my old blazer or Cherokee.

richphotos 10-29-2017 08:29 AM

I would try to bleed the ABS module.

You need a capable scan tool that can access it to open up the valves to bleed it.

Nicky Petrillo 12-08-2018 01:24 PM

I need all brake lines replaced,including abs

Originally Posted by richphotos (Post 681765)
I would try to bleed the ABS module.

You need a capable scan tool that can access it to open up the valves to bleed it.

The mechanic said it would cost between 250 and 300 dollars for all brake lines replaced in 97 cheby blazer...vehicle gone at garage for two weeks now...

DonL 12-08-2018 03:05 PM

I was thinking that there could be some interfearences in the lines preventing the fluid to flow good. Sucks it had to go to the shop to get done. I picked up the flaring tools and lines for under 100$. Did them all in the driveway in a couple of hours.

jimspahr@msn.com 12-11-2018 08:19 AM

1./ When you say: Replace 'all brake lines' are you meaning to replace all rubber hoses? When I hear 'brake lines' , I think you are referring to the steel lines, not the rubber hoses. I would think you wouldn't want to replace the steel brake lines unless you see a leak or a corroded line. Now the rubber brake hoses are easier to replace. They are also more likely to have a problem.

2./ If you don't have the expensive upscale scanner required to read the ABS module---most don't have one$$$---you will need to take it to a competent shop that has one and knows how to use it. I did that and it costs only 82,50 for the procedure.

3./ 'My brakes suck' is a very general description. It would be nice to know if they are pulsating and when they pulsate, are they pulling to one side, are they making a noise, is one brake rotor getting hotter than the others and so on. Specific information makes it more likely you will get a useful answer.