Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Acetone??? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/acetone-73935/)

dak2007 09-22-2012 03:43 AM

Acetone???

So has anybody tried adding acetone to their gas? There are only 2 threads about it and both are pretty old. Neither of them actually gave numbers or anything like that. Mostly it was like "hey I do this". Nothing else was mentioned. I'm thinking I'm going to try it. I just want to know if anyone has already done this and if it helped. I just got done doing a lot of work on the blazer that effects MPG. I'm going to run a control tank and then I'll test this out. I'll keep yall updated unless I hear about something negative beforehand.

chris015 09-22-2012 08:02 AM

Ive heard it likes to eat the rubber lines etc. Only reason i have yet to try it. Id like to know more about it too.

cleburne red 09-22-2012 09:10 AM

According to Snopes, it doesn't do anything. At least, anything that can be backed up with any sort of scientific studies. It is a solvent, which won't be good for rubber parts. But if you do try it, let us know the results. Just try to be as detailed as you can. Do the same type of driving with the acetone tank as you do with the gasoline tank. Same weather conditions, traffic, etc. Rule out as many variables as you can.

richphotos 09-22-2012 09:48 AM

This just sounds like a idea for disaster.

50lb_cat 09-22-2012 10:11 AM

+1 rich lol

dak2007 09-22-2012 01:24 PM

I've read both sides of the argument. The people that swear by it I think are reporting false increases in MPG while the people who argue it I don't think ever actually tried it. I understand the risks of adding the acetone but I don't think it will do any damage. Gasoline is a solvent much like acetone is. The other reason why I am not worried is I'm talking about adding 3oz. to about 13 gallons of gas. Because it is fall and the weather is rapidly changing here is the experiment I have planned.

I'm going to do a control tank. I will fill it up as usual and drive until the needle is at 3/4. After that I will do a tank with acetone in it. This tank will be documented but will not count as this is transitional. On the third tank I will run the acetone and that is the one that I will be comparing against the straight gas.

I expect this test to take roughly 2 weeks. I will be driving the blazer on a controlled route to work and back. This way there is no deviation in my driving habits or anything like that. The drive is about 10 miles each way. In the event that the acetone does show signs of increased MPG I will do a test on the interstate so that I can document the highway MPG. That test would be done in the same manner.

richphotos 09-22-2012 01:50 PM

Acetone is a MUCH stronger solvent than gasoline, The fuel lines are meant to withstand gasoline, but not acetone, I have some extra fuel line here at the house, I bet if i dipped it in acetone, it would soften and dissolve in a week.
Honestly, I do not think it is worth what it could possibly do for a little bit extra mileage.

but if you do decide to do it, report back with your findings. Including the effects of it on your rubber fuel lines ect, I am curious to find out what it does (although I would never try it, just something interesting to know)

dak2007 09-22-2012 02:14 PM

I'm going to inventory the garage here in a little bit and for this experiment I will also test the effects of acetone on car components. I believe I have a some rubber hose out there along with a couple more little things that would be found in the fuel system. At the same time the experiment is going on I will be soaking that stuff. I'll take pictures of everything and let you all know what happens.

dak2007 09-22-2012 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beginning the experiment. I put a piece of vacuum line, 2 o-rings, a piece of a fuel line splice, and a plastic fuel line connector in a container and filled it with 100% pure acetone. If everything is still there in a week and not completely FUBAR I will move onto road tests. I picked the things that I did because I felt like these would be the most likely to be effected by the acetone. I don't have any old spark plugs laying around or an old gasket. I feel that the vacuum line will represent the gasket fairly well. If someone is following this and wouldn't mind testing a gasket it would be awesome. If anyone has suggestions on things to throw into the soup let me know.

Presti7 09-22-2012 11:49 PM

I painted cars for a living and dealt with alot of sellers bringing their products around and going to their product seminars/classes.

One car paint maker said they had guys in Africa going around trying to show off their product to get sales and ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere's. They poured their paints reducer (thinner) into the gas tank and drove the car back to their hotel.

I remember looking at the reducer can and Acetone was one of the ingredients.

It'll get you home if you have to. A customers car was out of gas in the shop and one of the workers poured a gallon of pure denatured alcohol into the gas tank so he could start it up and move it around while we worked on it. He wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, we had a gas can.....he was just too lazy to go fill it up. Car ran pretty good on denatured alcohol mixed with what little gas was in the tank.

I think over the years gasoline's formula has been changed. It's not quite as flammable as it used to be. I think they've removed the quick evaporating chemicals that made it more potent....for emissions reasons.