General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer won’t start when weather is below 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Mallory93 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer won’t start when weather is below 40

Hi I have a 01 Chevy blazer that won’t start when weather is below 40 I have changed ever senior on it could use some help thanks

Old 04-06-2019, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Does it crank, but not start, or no crank?

If it does crank, is it a normal, strong crank, or weak and slow?

Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Does it crank, but not start, or no crank?

If it does crank, is it a normal, strong crank, or weak and slow?
. Crank over good and strong it has no spark come out of coil when cold but good spark when it is warm out

Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 AM
BF Veteran

That's strange. 40 isn't even that cold. Above freezing. Maybe a new coil, but I hate throwing money at something.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:43 AM

I have replaced distributor, cap and rotor, coil pickup, ignition coil, control module, crank shaft position sensor, plugs, fuel pump and a coolant temperature sensor. /computer I just don’t know what else to try

Old 04-07-2019, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran

I know you think it's an ignition, issue, but replacing all those parts, should have fixed it if that's the case.

Have you checked your fuel pressure when it's not starting? That's the next thing I would check. Even if it's fine, you can at least rule it out, and move along with troubleshooting

Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 AM

I have no spark coming out of coil when cold but good spark when it’s warm out

Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Man talk about throwing parts at a problem, okay look you need to step back and think about this. Considering most parts that are electrical are not returnable why dont we do some checks/tests to narrow down the issue. Check battery? Check grounds, especially grounds. There are several to look at, I know one behind battery on backside of headlight area. Another goes to firewall, and you got one the drops down to engine block low on passenger side. Why? Because it’s temp related. Hot /cold metal contracts/expands and seems like a loose connection be first thing to check for and cost nothing but time to look.

Next would be some of the main connectors. Look at ones under hood first, passenger side on the main computer. Literally just unplug them (they are color coded and have notches to prevent plugging in wrong so basically fool proof). Look to see if they are clean, no corrosion or anything suspect. Again this cost you nothing but some time. Then look over the relay box under hood. A sticking relay in cold conditions could cause this so look them over. If its cold give a tap and then try to start. See if you can narrow this issue down. The cover is labeled so you can find the ones to look at.

There is no magic bullet and your issue is not that common but I think this can be resolved. It’s electrical and somewhat intermittent seeing only when cold. I wonder if when driving and you go into the cold when it was already warmed up does it just die?

Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 AM

Ok computer I dont think is problem just had that off and back on looked good and clean / you say there only three ground wire I will start there thanks for the tips we keep you up dated

Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 AM

The relay box you talk about is that the out side fuse box

Quick Reply: Blazer won’t start when weather is below 40