General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazers are great

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM
WLB
Beginning Member
WLB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazers are great

Got home yesterday from my latest trip--a 1974 mile trip from Indianapolis to southern Mississippi and back. The old Blazer (1993, 2 wheel drive) ran faultlessly and since I actually observed the speed limits got the best gas mileage I have ever had. This Blazer now has 238,000+ miles on it, uses no oil, and on this trip, which I actually observed the speed limits (65 and 70 mph), got 27 miles per gallon with a best of 28.2 and a worst of 25.8. Other than the lower speeds, the only change to the car was a free flowing exhaust system. On previous trips running about 10 mph faster with stock exhaust I averaged 22 to 23 mph.

My son has a 1994 4 wheel wheel drive with over 180,000 miles and it also uses no oil and has averaged 22 to 24 mpg on several trips from Indianapolis to Raton, NM and to Mississippi.

We both plan to keep the Blazers until they rust down around us.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my offroad only truck is a 93 s10 blazer with 203,000 on it, best running vehicle i ever owned. sits for months at time, gets fired up beat to heck then put back in the garage and repeated for the last 4 years. never had any issues with the engine.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WLB
Got home yesterday from my latest trip--a 1974 mile trip from Indianapolis to southern Mississippi and back. The old Blazer (1993, 2 wheel drive) ran faultlessly and since I actually observed the speed limits got the best gas mileage I have ever had. This Blazer now has 238,000+ miles on it, uses no oil, and on this trip, which I actually observed the speed limits (65 and 70 mph), got 27 miles per gallon with a best of 28.2 and a worst of 25.8. Other than the lower speeds, the only change to the car was a free flowing exhaust system. On previous trips running about 10 mph faster with stock exhaust I averaged 22 to 23 mph.

My son has a 1994 4 wheel wheel drive with over 180,000 miles and it also uses no oil and has averaged 22 to 24 mpg on several trips from Indianapolis to Raton, NM and to Mississippi.

We both plan to keep the Blazers until they rust down around us.
I need to be on what your blazers are on. 28 at the best, and a 94 with 4wd and 180k miles getting 22-24? pass some my way.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Estimate mpg of the 93 jimmy is 22 hiway and 15 city.I have 94 chevy truck with a 4.3 and this is my mpg.My 96 jimmy is supposed get just slightly better stock from the factory.So unless you made some kind of mods to your engine/exaust system I dont see how you can get 28mpg?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM
WLB
Beginning Member
WLB is an unknown quantity at this point

RichPhotos, are you saying I must be on drugs? I can assure you I am not on drugs and have no pathological needs that would make me lie about something so unimportant in the total scheme of things as gas mileage. I was merely giving an obviously well designed and produced vehicle it's due. Most GM vehicles I have had in the past never made it to 200,00 miles and the one I can remember that did, would have used 3 or 4 quarts of oil in a 2000 mile trip.

First time, if you read the whole post you will see that I did change the exhaust system. I don't know if the lower speeds or the exhaust was responsible for the increases. I would suspect about 2/3 of the increase to be from the exhaust.

My son has kept records of his gas mileage for the 6 years he has had it and averaged 14 to 16 in the city going to school and 22 to 24 on trips. I have never checked my mileage in the city but have on most trips. I have never got under 22 on steady interstate driving. I have never checked mileage on trips through non interstate mountainous driving.

No one was more surprised at the numbers than me. I rechecked my math twice on the first tank and rechecked all figures with a calculator when I got home.

I would dare say that if you have a stock 93 or 94 Blazer (no big tire, off road equipment) with 4.3 engine and 3.08 rear axle and you can't break 20 mpg on steady interstate driving then either your vehicle or your driving skills need improving.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I don't think rich was implying that you are on drugs lol! Or maybe he was but I think he was reffering to passing some of the good gas mileage his way! I believe 28mpg may be posible but there are alot of factors such as mods to vehicle, tire size, tire design, weight being hauled in the vehicle, 2wd or 4wd thats just a few. I know when I drove to Florida in August it was all hwy but I can't stay at the speed limit, I have 31's, I had 3 adult size people and a baby plus all the necessary luggage for them and a giant cargo box on my roof and I got about 16-18 average.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WLB
RichPhotos, are you saying I must be on drugs? I can assure you I am not on drugs and have no pathological needs that would make me lie about something so unimportant in the total scheme of things as gas mileage. I was merely giving an obviously well designed and produced vehicle it's due. Most GM vehicles I have had in the past never made it to 200,00 miles and the one I can remember that did, would have used 3 or 4 quarts of oil in a 2000 mile trip.

First time, if you read the whole post you will see that I did change the exhaust system. I don't know if the lower speeds or the exhaust was responsible for the increases. I would suspect about 2/3 of the increase to be from the exhaust.

My son has kept records of his gas mileage for the 6 years he has had it and averaged 14 to 16 in the city going to school and 22 to 24 on trips. I have never checked my mileage in the city but have on most trips. I have never got under 22 on steady interstate driving. I have never checked mileage on trips through non interstate mountainous driving.

No one was more surprised at the numbers than me. I rechecked my math twice on the first tank and rechecked all figures with a calculator when I got home.

I would dare say that if you have a stock 93 or 94 Blazer (no big tire, off road equipment) with 4.3 engine and 3.08 rear axle and you can't break 20 mpg on steady interstate driving then either your vehicle or your driving skills need improving.
You got me, I was the whole time implying that you were on drugs, that is why i said "pass me some of what your blazer is on" Just relax, and dance a little. But I guess I am a bit skeptical, but then again, 95% of the Jimmy's driving is city. and I do not have 3.08 gears.

Last edited by richphotos; 10-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

^^hahahahahahahhahahahahaha^

Guess I was wrong owell!!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Cool Either your blazer is on drugs or someone driving it is.

I would have to see 27mpg on a 93 to beleive it myself.Just seems to good to be true.No offence but I am skeptical of those figures.I can assure you it isnt going to happen with 308`s.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexmburns
^^hahahahahahahhahahahahaha^

Guess I was wrong owell!!
No, you were right, it is very hard to show sarcasm on the internet, drives me nuts LOL

Quick Reply: Blazers are great