General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What to Look for at Salvage Yards

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road
Default What to Look for at Salvage Yards

I'm headed to town this morning; gonna hit a few yards while I'm there...What are some of the more common things to keep an eye out for?

Looking for: High output alternator; spare tire rack; Misc Interior trim pieces/parts; Hood from Jimmy (today)

I know there is more that I have thought of or read about in the past and am just drawing a blank. What do you look for when you're pickin?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Some may disagree but I look closer at the wrecked ones than the rotted, neglected ones that weren't worth the cost of a fuel pump. Minor T-bones have been lucky for me. Good luck and I dropped some change so if you find any.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Starting Member

I agree 100%...the wrecked ones were quite possibly someones baby until that moment of destruction. I always pay more attention to them. Been using the same salvage yard long enough that I have the owner trained to call me when he gets a new Blazer or something that crosses over to one. Almost forgot...picked up hood from 98 Jimmy in perfect condition for $55.

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 04-25-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Working at a salvage yard for the last 6 years, all we get are wrecked vehicles purchased from auctions, usually 2000+ although a 95-00 leaks in every once in a blue moon, all makes and models. Some are predestine condition inside and out (aside from the wreck damage obviously), some are total basket cases, you can really tell how well someone took care of their vehicle, even when it's wrecked... Some are hardly wrecked but are too old for an insurance company to bother repairing so it gets totaled out (which is a shame in my opinion), some are absolutely annihilated...

BUT

I agree on the above statement. Just because it's a 98-04 and 13+ years old doesn't mean it's in crap condition. We had a 98 Blazer come in about 3 years ago with 33K ORIGINAL MILES. Needless to say, I stripped that one of engine sensors, a couple interior panels and the steering wheel, and the front axle shafts and wheel bearings lol. Sadly, some have low miles (and I'm talking about NEWER vehicles like 2015-2016) are are absolutely trashed from the owner inside and out, and it kills me to see it... Maybe I was raised in a different generation where I was taught to take care of my things, and father always taught me to take care of my vehicle and it'll take care of me. Or maybe I'm just OCD and I like my vehicles clean and everything in working order lol.

I'm getting off subject now...

Yes, look for the lower mileage wrecked ones, ones that look like they may have a decent paint job, may find one that was a garage kept jewel! It's rare but it happens; we recently had a 2002 Corvette Z06 come in that was rear-ended and you can tell some guy had to have shed a tear when it was totaled (I would have...). Kid you not, 13k original miles, ON A 2002! It was MINT... I got one thing from it. The passenger seat. To turn into a computer chair (current work in progress...)

Name:  20170423_162616.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  2.97 MB

Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Starting Member

Thats a great idea for the seat from the vette. The one thing that sux for me is that I am in rural Nebraska in a town of 7500 people and the closest decent salvage yard is 45 miles away. But like i posted earlier the one thing i do have in my favor is that yard's owner gives me a call any time he gets something in that crosses over to my vehicles. Your Blazer looks good...I figure i got about 2 weeks of after work and weekends left and mine will be done...starting the install of rear shackles and body lift are on todays agenda.