Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   CV axle (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/cv-axle-98859/)

BritishColumbiafishing 02-13-2019 04:50 PM

CV axle

Put a 2.5 lift on a 2002 4 door blazer and destroyed my cv axles,I understand that changing the angle on the axle on an older vehicle can do that I also get not to crank up the tortionbars. So all the work was done right .I have replaced the cv axles and seems to be ok so far. The vehicle is used for wheeling and goes on alot of backcountry trails so is expected. So QUESTION BEING is anyone firmiliar with the differences in ZR2 oem cv axles I have herd that they are a 1/4 inch longer then mine on the LT model ? Will it make up that distance from mine being lifted? What are peoples thoughts

cleburne red 02-13-2019 06:43 PM

I don't think they'll work. I've always read that they were too long

christine_208 02-13-2019 08:54 PM

What was the failure mechanism for your CV axles? Did the boots come off allowing the joints to become contaminated? The original boots are pretty stiff and I have discovered that my inner boots were being pulled off. When I had one of CV axles out I replaced the inner boot with a new neoprene one that was much more flexible. I also took the opportunity to clean the joint and fill it with fresh grease.

BritishColumbiafishing 02-13-2019 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 703057)
What was the failure mechanism for your CV axles? Did the boots come off allowing the joints to become contaminated? The original boots are pretty stiff and I have discovered that my inner boots were being pulled off. When I had one of CV axles out I replaced the inner boot with a new neoprene one that was much more flexible. I also took the opportunity to clean the joint and fill it with fresh grease.

It pulled it right out of socket and destroyed it from running it home like that

christine_208 02-13-2019 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BritishColumbiafishing (Post 703061)
It pulled it right out of socket and destroyed it from running it home like that

Yikes!!! I could see with a larger angle to it, there would be an extension of the axle itself. It would seem that the clip on the splined part of the axle must have lost tension and allowed it to come out.

BritishColumbiafishing 02-14-2019 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 703062)
Yikes!!! I could see with a larger angle to it, there would be an extension of the axle itself. It would seem that the clip on the splined part of the axle must have lost tension and allowed it to come out.

Yes so apparently the zr2 axle is roughly 1/4 inch longer, wondering if that would make up for the length since it is lifted

El_Beautor 02-14-2019 09:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that it's more than 1/4" longer than a standard s-series. The ZR2 has about a 2" wider stance than the standard s-series truck, and I believe that the cv axle is closer to 2" longer on the ZR2. I'll try and see if I can get measurements to post tomorrow to be sure.

BritishColumbiafishing 02-14-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor (Post 703078)
I'm pretty sure that it's more than 1/4" longer than a standard s-series. The ZR2 has about a 2" wider stance than the standard s-series truck, and I believe that the cv axle is closer to 2" longer on the ZR2. I'll try and see if I can get measurements to post tomorrow to be sure.

thanks brotha that would be awsome :icon_worthy:

El_Beautor 02-15-2019 06:08 PM

Had my brother measure for me as he has both a non-Z and a ZR2 in his shop at the moment. Measuring from the diff-face (excluding the shaft inside the diff) out to the hub face (excluding the shaft extending through the hub) the measurements are:
- ZR2 = 18.5" (+/- 1/4")
- Non-Z = 15.5" (+/- 1/4")
There's probably a parts catalog around somewhere that would give more exact measurements, but even these show that the ZR2 CV axles are a lot longer than the non-Z, even taking into different angles and such. They are not interchangeable.