Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Deepest water fording... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/deepest-water-fording-80893/)

step66 08-04-2013 04:39 PM

Deepest water fording...

Greetings! A paved road I use on my way home can usually be flooded-I'm not talking a puddle either,this is a head of river source that is a drainage for about 1000 acres. This road flooding is usually 1/2 to 3/4 mile wide with a slow flow,but DEEP! Last night it was almost half way up my lower door! 24"! I am confident my axles are dry as there are no leaks visible when dry-but what I would like to question is what is the deepest safe fording level for still water that you have experienced?

Thogert 08-05-2013 03:13 AM

Don't go higher than the airbox, about headlight height. Not saying it's good to get everything submersed, but that is the absolute limit.

slcblazer 08-05-2013 09:40 AM

Isn't there a breather port on the top of the trans that can get water in it if submerged?

abig84 08-05-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by slcblazer (Post 595670)
Isn't there a breather port on the top of the trans that can get water in it if submerged?

yep.

also just cause theres no leakage doesnt mean theres no water in the axles. ive done alot of deep water off roading and that water will push itself in and not come out past the seals. it was always funny cause my front axle would be pretty much entirely full of milky gear lube, i even ran my breathers up high.

got really annoying have to change your axle fluid every month or so

slcblazer 08-05-2013 02:13 PM

Its best to stay away from the deep stuff, nothing wrong in running through a couple inches of water to wash the mud away from the underside :)

richphotos 08-05-2013 03:32 PM

Only had to go through some deep water once with the jimmy sofar... we got about 5" of rain in about 40 minutes from a real bad storm, all roads around were water covered, so I went a way I knew, had about 10-12" of water on the road, flooded cars to my left, flooded cars to my right.. me making it right through and getting home.. Win.

it was fun, but i would not make a habbit of it.

gitch93 08-05-2013 08:07 PM

i do alot of deep water crossings best to take die electric grease to all ur vital engine plugs under ur chassis and engine,extend ur brether tubes into the engine bay and ur rear diff tube to ur gas fill neck like i did. use clamps to make sure the fittings are tight and use axle grease around some seals and transmission parts it will displace water. dont go higher then ur headlight if u run a stock air box and have not added precautions or a snorkle

Crackers 08-06-2013 10:38 AM

Even in their pristine condition grease/oil seals are only designed to keep fluid in, not to keep fluid out. Submerge them and they will take on water. Not much water mind you, but it doesn't take much water to damage bearings should it get Ito the crankcase.

I had a situation similar to yours last year. My road was flooded and I had an emergency that HAD to be addressed immediately. Went through 2+ feet of moving water in my K2500. Right about the middle where it got its deepest I almost got swept off the road, and it sits a lot higher stock than most lifted s-series blazers. Granted my motor's about worn out, but it did suck water and I had to flush and change fluids.

step66 08-08-2013 01:16 AM

Interesting replies! I would NEVER take this unit through fast flowing or water headlight deep! The axles are due for change anyway,but pulled the rear plug,pumped some new grease in and the ooze looked OK. My 91 Suburban,heavy as it is,I refuse to cross water I can't see the bottom of. Fording is best left for the snorkled CJ/YJ/FJ crowd IMO! Will check for other compromised issues this weekend,thanks all!

Diaita 08-08-2013 02:12 PM

The rear axle breather is inside the frame rail by the rear tire. Transmission is about the same height. If your tires are under water, so are the breathers.

Deepest I've been is about 40", or a few inches above the Blazer logo. With all the breathers routed to the back of the engine bay I still see signs of water in the axles and t/c. I dunno how water gets in, but it does.