Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Did I get shafted ? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/did-i-get-shafted-46203/)

kymatt 06-26-2010 10:46 PM

Did I get shafted ?

I took my 96, 4.3, 4x4 to a local mechanic to replace a leaky intake gasket. When I went to pick the vehicle up it was knocking very loud. I left it on his lot overnight becouse I was afraid to drive it home. The next morning, i went to the lot to move it into the back of the lot just to get it out of his way. The engine totally locked up when I tried to start it. I actually drove this truck to the lot with no pings or knocks, just leaking water and antifreeze as fast as I could put it in. Should I snap this guys neck ? I feel like I just got screwed. I am out 500 dollars and have a total engine replacement on my hands !
I would appreciate any and all opinions, especially where to find an engine !

83Blazer4x4 06-27-2010 12:16 AM

Buddy that is Brutal! What if anything did this so called mechanic say when you confronted him with this. By your statement I take it you already paid him for the gasket job. I personally would take it to small claims court. As for an engine try your local salvage yards. You can usually swing a good deal there. The 4.3 was in a lot of vehicles so to my overall knowledge you could drop one in from just about any source, I am sure more enlightened individuals than I will be able to clarify the validity of this statement. Best of luck my friend.

kickme005 06-27-2010 08:54 AM

tell hime to replace or fix ur engine for free

84BlazerS10 06-27-2010 12:23 PM

Yeah, I would try to get him to replace it and if he won't I would take it to court.

oktain 06-27-2010 12:33 PM

Take it to court if he won't do anything. I wouldn't trust him rebuilding my engine, but I'd sue his ass for the price of the newer one + damage pay (:D)

Frankiesurf 06-27-2010 01:21 PM

If he doesn't come clean and court is necessary, make sure you get yourself a new or remanufactured motor. Not a junkyard special.

See what he says about it first. Maybe he will be honest.

Hanr3 06-28-2010 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by kymatt (Post 341374)
I took my 96, 4.3, 4x4 to a local mechanic to replace a leaky intake gasket. ... ust leaking water and antifreeze as fast as I could put it in.
I would appreciate any and all opinions, especially where to find an engine !

Leaking intake gasket? Leaking into where, the engine block, hence into the engine oil. Oil and water dont mix, especially when it comes to bearings. The fastest way to fry an engine is by using water instead of oil. Itll lock em up tighter than a drum. A loud knocking noise, sounds like rod knock. They make one hell of a racket when knocking. I have a 4.3L sitting in the garage with a bad #1 piston bearing. I paid the previous owen $50 for the truck, swapped in a rebuilt engine and my son drove the truck for 2 years, recently sold it for $1000 and now someone elses son is driving it.