General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
K & N also has a regular style spin off filter/ not reuseable/ for both the 2WD and the 4WD version of the 2003 Blazer. The 2WD version is $13.99 and the 4WD is $15.99 at O'Reilly's auto parts. They both have the 'wrench off' nut welded to the bottom of the filter for easy removal. The 4WD is 5.094" in length. It is the equivalent of the AC Delco PF 52 filter which is OEM for the 4WD Blazer. Both the Mobil 1 and the K & N are top quality filters.
This is true as well

Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Misc thoughts on oil and oil changes.

I like to use 10w/30 in the summer months and 5w/30 weight in winter. The oil filter cap on my 2003 Blazer LS 2 door 4WD says 10w/30, others here say 5w/30 on cap. If I lived in Minn. or Canada or North Dakota, I would definitely use Synthetic oil if only because it flows quickly on cold starts. I think the myth about syn. oil will leak or you can't go back to reg. petroleum after you have used syn. has all been debunked. To me a more valid concern is : should you use reg. petroleum oil in a new engine until the engine rings are seated? I would think the answer is 'Yes, use reg. oil to let the engine break in, then switch to synth'. But then how do some of the major high performance car manufacturers use synth. as the factory fill: Refer to Ferrari, Porsche, and Corvette among others! Maybe the answer is these cars are 'run in' at the factory.
When changing the oil filter, always put 'CLEAN' oil on the gasket, not used oil. Be sure to check to see if the old filter gasket was not stuck to the base of the base. If it is still there, it will cause a leak. Hand tighten the oil filter only. I like the idea of partially filling, i.e. 3/4 full, the new oil filter IF THE FILTER IS MOUNTED VERTICALLY. But on my 4WD has the remote mounted oil filter mounted horizontally. So I don't put oil in the Blazer filter only for that reason. I also make my own synth. blend! What's that? I add one quart of synthetic to the oil fill with the rest of the oil being reg. petroleum oil. I like to check the oil level before cranking it up. Then crank the engine and look for leaks underneath the engine.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
I like to use 10w/30 in the summer months and 5w/30 weight in winter. The oil filter cap on my 2003 Blazer LS 2 door 4WD says 10w/30, others here say 5w/30 on cap. If I lived in Minn. or Canada or North Dakota, I would definitely use Synthetic oil if only because it flows quickly on cold starts. I think the myth about syn. oil will leak or you can't go back to reg. petroleum after you have used syn. has all been debunked. To me a more valid concern is : should you use reg. petroleum oil in a new engine until the engine rings are seated? I would think the answer is 'Yes, use reg. oil to let the engine break in, then switch to synth'. But then how do some of the major high performance car manufacturers use synth. as the factory fill: Refer to Ferrari, Porsche, and Corvette among others! Maybe the answer is these cars are 'run in' at the factory.
When changing the oil filter, always put 'CLEAN' oil on the gasket, not used oil. Be sure to check to see if the old filter gasket was not stuck to the base of the base. If it is still there, it will cause a leak. Hand tighten the oil filter only. I like the idea of partially filling, i.e. 3/4 full, the new oil filter IF THE FILTER IS MOUNTED VERTICALLY. But on my 4WD has the remote mounted oil filter mounted horizontally. So I don't put oil in the Blazer filter only for that reason. I also make my own synth. blend! What's that? I add one quart of synthetic to the oil fill with the rest of the oil being reg. petroleum oil. I like to check the oil level before cranking it up. Then crank the engine and look for leaks underneath the engine.

Very thorough. My problem here is synth blend. For me its all or nothing. Dont understand blend. Whats the use?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by newguy
Very thorough. My problem here is synth blend. For me its all or nothing. Dont understand blend. Whats the use?
I dont see the point to a synthetic blend either.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran

afraid of commitment, like getting married and keeping your maiden name. Lol

Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
afraid of commitment, like getting married and keeping your maiden name. Lol

hahahahahaha

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Lmao!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Failure to commit ? No, budgetary restrictions!

Why syn. blend oil or even cheaper: DIY syn. blend? Easy--to get the advantages of syn. and the lower cost of petroleum. The syn. oil I was using Pennzoil Ultra is up to $9.49 at quart. So even if you do your own oil changes, which I do, an an oil change gets expensive. Then add in a 13.99/15.99 oil filter from K & N, an oil change is obscene. Yes, I do prefer synthetic oil such as Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum, but until I win the Lottery, sorry S.C. Educational Lottery, I will have to brew my own syn. blend mix. I calculate a Pennzoil Ultra oil change with K&N oil filter to be=$63.49 not including taxes. Pretty steep!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran

walmart synth, 25.00, forget the k&n filter, your paying for the name. ac delco filter 5.00. Just did mine. By the way. I have 225,000 miles on my truck

Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

I'm using synthetic 10W40 with a FRAM filter. I was wondering what the issue is with Fram? I've been using them for years and never had a problem with them. I like them mostly because of the grips, the other filters don't have that and its harder to grasp them with oil on your hands. So since I've had no problems with them, I'll stick with them. And the regular Frams are $4, but I've been getting the high mileage ones lately for $9.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change