Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Emergency Light Set up (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/emergency-light-set-up-39795/)

Buck731 01-26-2010 01:11 AM

Emergency Light Set up

As a volunteer firefighter in upstate NY, we are allowed to run Blue lights while enroute to a call or station. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about console that fit the blazers (to carry CB, Scanner, Light Control Boxes). Also...if you have any ideas on light set ups that would look good...let me know. Thanks

swartlkk 01-27-2010 08:43 AM

I have a Federal Signal HighLighter LED Mini-Lightbar mounted to one of my luggage rack bars. I carved up a hockey puck to make the mounts and used some bolts I found in my hardware box that had a coarse thread on one side and 1/4-20 thread on the other to mount them. It turned out quite well.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...chWax20_06.jpg

For the switch, I removed a trim panel from the overhead console and drilled a hole for a lighted switch.

My Whelen Dual Talon LED dash light is in my K5 now.

As far as a console goes, I know some others that have made some of the more standard radio boxes fit, but they modified the center console quite a bit (i.e. cut it apart). Galls.com would be where I would start looking, if for nothing else but to get ideas.

papacope 01-27-2010 08:53 AM

WhelenŽ Dual-Head LED Avenger™ Dash Light

I'm not sure what kinda of lights one of my friends has in his Silverado, but his switch panel is right under his after market head unit in the open space.

Buck731 02-14-2010 03:22 PM

Thank you guys. I've been looking in Galls, they have some great starting idea's...but I'm leaning towards putting rocker switchs in the overhead where the temp/compass usually sit.

sifd4x4 02-15-2010 11:10 PM

Im not sure if I remember the brand now but I just have a 4 LED split dashlight. 2 red and 2 white. I just have it in the center near the bottom of the dash and hide the wires all the way to the 2 aux power plugs under the dash. Fairly clean setup all you see is the light on the dash. Id love to do a 4 head strobe kit in the headlight and taillights, but for the 4 years i have been running calls I can move traffic just as good with a small dashlight as the guys that look like christmas trees riding down the road. May be different up were you are though.

As a side note, it would be really weird for me to run a blue light down here cause that's all that the police run. Fire is always red and white and they keep pushing for just red. anybody running a blue down here would definitely get an impersonating a police officer ticket haha.

Buck731 07-26-2012 10:43 AM

Yea, the only problem with vollies running blue is that it is treated the same as an amber. Most people move over...but, there are those 'others' who are blind.

Rottidog 07-26-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Buck731 (Post 532301)
Yea, the only problem with vollies running blue is that it is treated the same as an amber. Most people move over...but, there are those 'others' who are blind.

That's when you get the air horn set ups that emergency vehicles only have. They have a different pitch to them that really makes people sit up & notice!

neo71665 07-27-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 532318)
That's when you get the air horn set ups that emergency vehicles only have. They have a different pitch to them that really makes people sit up & notice!

Electric sirens have them (some models) but the 2 real airhorns off a kenworth is louder than my fake airhorns. Most of the time its the idiots with systems in their cars listening to it too loud that don't hear a siren. That case they aint gonna hear an electric horn coming out of the same speaker.

And holy thread digger batman.

xgiovannix12 07-27-2012 01:19 PM

Indeed the Dust got blown off this thread....