Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Extended warranties/service contracts (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/extended-warranties-service-contracts-46325/)

ComputerNerdBD 06-30-2010 01:01 AM

Extended warranties/service contracts

Hey everyone. Is it worth it to buy an extended warranty or service contract? I have heard alot of stuff saying it is a scam/fraud/etc. I have asked for quotes online from 3 different companies. Good thing I didn't make the mistake of giving them my cell number! I gave them the number for my MagicJack phone (my cell is my primary phone. I don't have a real landline in my apartment), which is kind of my spare line because it is so cheap. Originally it was supposed to be a fax line, but it didn't work because the codec they use is not suitable for faxing. After I heard so many bad things on the internet about these companies that I asked for quotes from, I just don't answer the MagicJack phone if I don't know who it is since I no longer want to do business with them. I have gotten 15 voicemails in the past week from extended warranty companies telling me to call them back because they have questions about the truck and they want me to buy a policy from them.

rriddle3 06-30-2010 06:44 AM

Here's a thread I started concerning my experience.

84BlazerS10 06-30-2010 12:41 PM

I would say no if they call you that much sounds like they are desperate for money but that's my personal opinion and have never had a experience with extended warranties but I would probably guess unless it's factory warranty it's not worth it.

kiwiblazer 07-01-2010 02:09 AM

I had a 2year extended warrenty on my truck. Cost around $800 (NZ$) When the 2 years were up it had cost the about $6k. Go for it but watch out for the fine print.

Here, if the truck has not been serviced by a registered garage within the specified time /milage you void the warranty. AND, 1 km / 1 day over . . . Sorry mate! Go away!

ComputerNerdBD 07-01-2010 05:27 PM

Yea I agree with all of the above. Never should have entered my contact information on the websites. I don't know why they can't give a quote online without all the harassing telemarketers which not only cost money, but are borderline illegal. At least I gave them a phone number that I can change the number for free the first time and I didn't give any more personal info like credit card info, VIN numbers or anything like that (I wouldn't anyway). The volume of calls is increasing. Every day now I see between 3 and 7 voicemails on my email for the MagicJack phone (they send voicemails to my email). Time to change the number!

84BlazerS10 07-02-2010 01:00 AM

Yeah, that right there would lead me to believe those are a scam if they are that desperate for your business that they call multiple times a day.

old skool luvr 07-03-2010 12:08 PM

why not just say the truck had a major breakdown and you scraped it, or it got into an accident & was wrote off. :icon_shrug:

if that doesn't shut them up, then they really have issues!

ComputerNerdBD 07-05-2010 09:36 PM

Aren't they violating telemarketing laws by continued calls? Changing the MagicJack phone number is on my To-do list right after renewing the service.

84BlazerS10 07-05-2010 11:17 PM

Yeah, if you request for them to quit calling you and they keep doing it it is violating telemarketing laws.

Hanr3 07-06-2010 08:50 PM

You asked for the info, they arent breaking any laws, you asked for it.

Now if you answer the phone and tell them your not interested and to remove you from thier call list, now if they call you again its a violation.

As for the extended warrenty, In my opinion, its a waste of money. Then again, I can replace or rebuild everything that breaks.