Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Good, Cheap, Coolant leak fix (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/good-cheap-coolant-leak-fix-48544/)

ohsofly 08-31-2010 09:29 AM

Good, Cheap, Coolant leak fix

The guy at the dealer sold me this 6 pack of sealing tabs when I went for oil filters. My rad was puking out the drivers side where the plastic tank is crimped onto the metal rad core. I was instructed to crush ONE tab into powder and add it to the radiator then use the truck as usual. If its not a fine powder, then it can plug up the rad and heater cores tubing and thats bad. I used a mortar and pestle to powder one disc.

2 days later the leak started getting much better. I used to leak a gallon of water a day, about 50 KM. Now I havent added anything to the resevoir in days, and the leak makes tiny little puddles only sometimes... Great little trick these things. Costed me about 6 dollars for the package. It was 19 for 2 oil filters and the tablets. This is what they look like and the part number if anyone is interested.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7607535_n.jpg

AJBert 08-31-2010 04:58 PM

I never knew that AC Delco made something like these. I've always been against adding any kind of stop leak, regardless of the system. This post might just change my mind as far as coolant goes.

Though, I still prefer to fix the problem rather than put a bandaid on it.

croozer 08-31-2010 08:25 PM

Glad it worked for you. Those tablets look like and a product that has been around for years and years,now its just put into a different, condensed shape. I think the name of it was silver seal..it came in a loose,powder form.

zedartwo 08-31-2010 09:02 PM

croozer, I used that stuff! It was about a month ago. But never stopped my leak. Well thats cuz it was a crack in the plastic haha. New rad fixed that.

ohsofly 08-31-2010 09:44 PM

Yeah I just wanted the band aide, dont want to buy a new rad cause I dont know what engine I want to have in this truck eventually.

Today, its not leaking at all!

This stuff just takes a while.

91chevywt 08-31-2010 10:39 PM

How quick did it take effect? Like would it be worth it to carry a pack around in case a coolant leak happens?

ohsofly 09-01-2010 10:32 AM

It took about 2 days, or on-drive to work-off 4 times to take effect. Ive added nothing now in the last couple days. It makes little floatys that expand when they go from wet to air he said.

I would just carry one around and give 5 to other people. I would drive now far away I am confident it stopped my leak, and my leak was a bad one. I know its a bandaid, but I dont want to buy a radiator right now till I get this beast up and torn apart and figure out my gameplan. Turbo V6 or V8 swap...

rriddle3 09-01-2010 02:41 PM

Those must have been NOS because IIRC, GM stopped offering those a couple of years back due to claims that they were plugging coolant systems. The dealer used them once when I had the system flushed. Glad they worked for you.

yagermeister 09-01-2010 04:16 PM

My camaro had some leaks due to corrosion (think someone put the wrong coolant in ),I put this stuff kseal in it comes in a little blue (i think ) bottle.seals on contact with air so it only hardens when it find a leak ,also sensor safe .fixed it right up.

ohsofly 09-17-2010 11:26 AM

OK, so I decided to try a second tab after I was still getting tiny puddles, and it stopped it completely. Its been a few days now and the level never changes. As for them plugging the heater and rad, I used a mortar and pestel to gring it into powder, it specifies that on the package too. Its probably the lazy guys that just roll it under a socket or something and have chunks in it that get plugged up...

Stuff worked great, and I give it two thumbs up. Any my heater will melt your bootsoles.