General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Have to get rid of her :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Starting Member
BresBlazy will become famous soon enough
Default Have to get rid of her :(

Well, I have reached my limit after 9+ years with my blazer....I have been able to fix everything up until now and I am at my wits end. It is leaking transmission fluid which I am fairly certain is a bad gasket from the trans to the TC....hoses are falling apart and one just fell off the other day...cant find where it goes.
This isn't fun anymore, I just want to safely get to and from work without fear of having to crawl under the truck on the side of the road.... so I am reluctantly putting her up for sale.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Yes sad. When working these are useful rigs. The transmission issue is one for a professional shop. My "deal-killer" would be if the engine or perhaps the transfer case ever gave up the ghost somehow. Most other things I could probably swing.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, potentially being stranded is one of the things that makes driving an old car exciting!

I understand, though. Ever since mine got shifted to off-road toy duty, and not daily driver duty, I've enjoyed it a lot more!

Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Starting Member

yeah I might cry about it, my blood sweat and tears are in this truck, my first ever DIY maintenance vehicle, I was so proud of myself LOL...if it weren't for the awsome people I met here ten years ago I wouldn't have been able to do it!
I have changed out:
Fuel injector
Manifold Gaskets
Radiator
Spark plugs and cables
02 sensors like 5 times
Cap and Rotor
Breaks
Fuel filter
Starter
TPS
EGR Valve
Radio and speakers
Alternator
MAF sensor
I am hoping by some miracle I am able to keep her and have the time to save up and fix the major stuff...UUUGhh such a bummer!

Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 AM
BF Veteran

Not sure what your storage situation is, but what about keeping it, as a fun/project vehicle, and buying something decent on gas for a commuter? I know I would be bored at home if I didn't have some pos in the garage to wrench on lol.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Not sure what your storage situation is, but what about keeping it, as a fun/project vehicle, and buying something decent on gas for a commuter? I know I would be bored at home if I didn't have some pos in the garage to wrench on lol.
Unfortunately I live in an apartment with my two kids, we are only allowed one car per person on the lease so myself and my daughter, I have a Scion xb shes been driving but I need her to get her own car so I can drive that, which she is doing this weekend....that means either I have to try to convince them to let me keep it there (which I doubt they will) or let it go....I am going to try but its a slim chance

Old 12-19-2018, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BresBlazy
Unfortunately I live in an apartment with my two kids, we are only allowed one car per person on the lease so myself and my daughter, I have a Scion xb shes been driving but I need her to get her own car so I can drive that, which she is doing this weekend....that means either I have to try to convince them to let me keep it there (which I doubt they will) or let it go....I am going to try but its a slim chance
Ah, OK. Apartment living and project vehicles don't go together too well, unfortunately

Old 12-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Ah, OK. Apartment living and project vehicles don't go together too well, unfortunately
Yes Sir

Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 AM
Beginning Member
Jimmy4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yes sad. When working these are useful rigs. The transmission issue is one for a professional shop. My "deal-killer" would be if the engine or perhaps the transfer case ever gave up the ghost somehow. Most other things I could probably swing.
I thought something like that would be our final straw too. It wasn't. Our Jimmy is the wife's daily, and when it needed a new motor back in March, I took her to drive a new Terrain. She absolutely hated it - poor outward visibility, limited storage capacity, and unibody construction. She started crying and insisting she wanted her Jimmy back.

What could I do? Happy wife, happy life, so I paid AAA $6K to drop a new long block into it. Yes, we're now way upside down in that vehicle, but the wife loves it, so it's staying with us indefinitely.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jimmy4x4
Originally Posted by christine_208
I thought something like that would be our final straw too. It wasn't. Our Jimmy is the wife's daily, and when it needed a new motor back in March, I took her to drive a new Terrain. She absolutely hated it - poor outward visibility, limited storage capacity, and unibody construction. She started crying and insisting she wanted her Jimmy back.

What could I do? Happy wife, happy life, so I paid AAA $6K to drop a new long block into it. Yes, we're now way upside down in that vehicle, but the wife loves it, so it's staying with us indefinitely.
Good point. For me the logical replacement would be a 4Runner or Xterra but even at 10 y.o./100k+ miles, the asking prices for them is $12k! Slowing putting money into a Blazer could still be cheaper than the equivalent car payments.

Quick Reply: Have to get rid of her :(