Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   how to display check engine codes? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/how-display-check-engine-codes-8940/)

troublmaker_98 02-24-2007 01:35 PM

how to display check engine codes?

how can iidentify/display error codes when check engine light is on for '96 blazer? is there a sequence of buttons to hold so codes will display?

Kordog 02-24-2007 03:40 PM

RE: how to display check engine codes?

You will need to get a code reader. I think Wal-Mart even sells them. Korey

swartlkk 02-24-2007 07:01 PM

Or if you have an Autozone or Advanced Auto close by, they will read the codes for free. Go to one of them and get the codes. Then post them up here and we'll try to help out.

Kordog 02-24-2007 10:04 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about them places, seems that is all there are good for (atleast AZ)[sm=smiley2.gif]IMO. Korey.

20Blazer00 02-25-2007 04:51 AM

Since you have a '96 model year you are required to use an OBDII scanner to connect to the computer, not like the previous OBDI cars you could check some of them with a jumper wire which would blink a light indicator a specific times for each code. The OBDI system used two digit codes which you could read from a blinkin light. But now with OBDII there are to many codes and they are 4 digits so the blinking dash light would just not work....

You can find some basic scanners at your local parts stores and they can start at $35 all the way to $350+ for laptop software and hardware scanners... I purchased a laptop version for $199+S/H

MNHawk 02-25-2007 03:07 PM

they are right an ODB II code reader is needed for your year truck.

Dealerships (avg cost $20) to read them
Checkers / auto zone / advance auto (free)
Local repair shop (per hour rate)

Kordog 02-25-2007 05:23 PM

MNHawk, dealers in your area only charge $20.00? The ones in my area charge $70.00 plus for a code reading. I know my shop charges $50.00, but allot of the time we do it for free or a reduced rate, esp for good customers. Although just to check codes I believe it should only be a $10-$20 charge. Still need to pay for those$3000.00 plus scan tools,(my shop alone has 3 different ones) Korey.

filstoy 02-25-2007 05:43 PM

I've got an el cheapo one I bought off of ebay for $30 and an Actron I got at Autozone for $160. The ebay one does everything the Actron does but it's a little slower. Both can clear codes. Can't see any significant differences in the handhelds unless you get into the $1000 or more range. Most I've seen just read and clear generic P codes, even if they look fancier. Anybody know how the laptop units work ? I'd like to be able to command certain functions on and off like the $5000 Snap On units we have at work without spending a fortune or am I just dreaming ?
BTW, the two local Chevy dealers here charge $90 to hook up the scanner. One told my brother in law the fuel pump was shot. Quoted him almost $900 to fix it. He brought it over and I looked at the rusty filter, changed it and did a pressure check, cleared the code with my $30 scanner and it ran fine. What a waste of money !!

swartlkk 02-25-2007 10:11 PM

Yup, my local dealership charges $80... That's why I purchased my AutoEnginuity scanner. Works like a charm.

filstoy 02-25-2007 10:52 PM

Cool ! This looks like it will do exactly what I want it too. The price is right too! Thanks !