Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   How do i reattach my rear view mirror (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/how-do-i-reattach-my-rear-view-mirror-99093/)

Asantella 03-13-2019 02:38 PM

How do i reattach my rear view mirror

I have a 96 Chevy Blazer and the rear view mirror has come off how do I get it back on? I have tried to use the kits at the auto store and it did not work. Suggestions please!!! Thanks in advance

eshaw 03-13-2019 04:59 PM

You'll probably have to chip away the old residue on the piece that goes on the window. Make sure it's good and clean. There is also a cleaner in the kit that is used to clean your inner windshield where the mirror mounts. Make sure you give the epoxy enough time to cure after applying the metal piece that the mirror mounts to.

odat 03-13-2019 05:52 PM

I have no idea where you are located but if in the the cold like I am in Wyoming the vehicle needs to be inside and the windshield warm before trying to reapply the mounting pad.
Also on the outside of the windshield with a marker mark the spot where the mirror goes. Other than the mark you have made if you can tell where it was the glass is not clean enough to reapply the mirror.

AJBert 03-13-2019 09:02 PM

Drive into a place that changes windshields. Ask them if they will glue your mirror back onto the windshield. Pay them less than what you would pay for one of those kits.

Done.

I've been through this more than a few times and it finally suck through my thick skull. Those kits are worthless.

cleburne red 03-13-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by AJBert (Post 705086)
Drive into a place that changes windshields. Ask them if they will glue your mirror back onto the windshield. Pay them less than what you would pay for one of those kits.

Done.

I've been through this more than a few times and it finally suck through my thick skull. Those kits are worthless.

Not completely worthless, but you don't have to worry about if you get it crooked, since it'll fall off within a year, anyway

Asantella 03-14-2019 12:16 PM

Windshield

I live in California. I called a windshield place and they gave me a ridiculous price just to glue it back on. I'll do it myself. Thanks for all the information in your replies it will definitely help!

cleburne red 03-14-2019 12:25 PM

Good luck! I've had mine fall off twice on my truck. Make sure to clean not only the windshield, but the metal tab as well, as eshaw said above.

Knock on wood, the second time it seems to be holding!

go chevy 03-15-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Asantella (Post 705127)
I live in California. I called a windshield place and they gave me a ridiculous price just to glue it back on. I'll do it myself. Thanks for all the information in your replies it will definitely help!

Like odat said, make sure the windshield is on the warmer side as can be and everything is clean. Then use the glue stuff lol and hold it up there as long as your arm/arms will let you to make sure it will hold :)

DonL 03-15-2019 07:22 PM

Slather on the gorilla glue and crank the heat on!