Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   How much is too much to replace hinge pins and bushings. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/how-much-too-much-replace-hinge-pins-bushings-99280/)

yardbird 04-06-2019 01:14 PM

How much is too much to replace hinge pins and bushings.

I have to replace the pesky hinge pins and bushings in my blazer. I have a shop that has quoted me 100 bucks in the Northeast to replace them. So again how much is too much. I think that’s fair for this region. But was just curious what others would pay.

cleburne red 04-06-2019 01:31 PM

You can buy a set at any auto parts store for like ten bucks. And it takes all of ten minutes to do them. Imo anything more than that is too much

Trukntigger 04-06-2019 01:36 PM

Your talking door pins? It’s a pretty easy job but really need a second person to hold the door lined up when doing it. A cheap under 10$ door spring tool really is a must, there are other ways but not worth the trouble. Pins are cheap, under 10$ a pin. Not sure 10 mins, especially if never done before but still say an hour to remove and reinstall new. Each door gets easier as you get used to doing it. Only hold up is how bad the hole is for hinge. If rounded out badly then....yea.

yardbird 04-06-2019 01:47 PM

I have done these pins and bushings before. And I know it’s not that difficult of a job. My problem is the second person. Last time I did it the help I had dropped the door and crushed the corner of it. I would like to take the door completely off. Where are the electrical connectors for the door inside the door or inside the truck?

odat 04-06-2019 02:33 PM

If done in my shop for somebody else 50 to 100 bucks and I have a cherry picker {engine hoist] to hold the door - IMO a dropped door and crushed corner 100 bucks maybe the cheaper way to go.

Trukntigger 04-06-2019 03:00 PM

Unplugging more trouble than its worth. I did it with a simple floor jack and block of wood. Wood protected door bottom edge and held weight so my wife could just keep it stable. Left one long screw driver in each as pulled then just removed when new pin inserted. Honestly hard part was spring, got cheap spring tool and it was a snap.

cleburne red 04-06-2019 03:23 PM

Yeah, I just supported the door when I did mine before. I forgot about the door spring tool. I never could get mine back in, and it's been riding in the center console for several years lol

yardbird 04-07-2019 03:53 PM

Yeah I thought about it and decided to give my brother a call because what better help can you get than your brother. Had them done In less than half an hour. 14 bucks. Easy Peezy. I Could definitely keep the hundred bucks in my pocket.

cleburne red 04-07-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by yardbird (Post 706707)
Yeah I thought about it and decided to give my brother a call because what better help can you get than your brother. Had them done In less than half an hour. 14 bucks. Easy Peezy. I Could definitely keep the hundred bucks in my pocket.

There you go! Congrats on a job well done

DonL 04-07-2019 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 706628)
Yeah, I just supported the door when I did mine before. I forgot about the door spring tool. I never could get mine back in, and it's been riding in the center console for several years lol

I've only been able to get the spring back in once, and almost lost my head while at it. 20$ spring tool is worth it... I didnt think I would use it often, but now that my parents have a jimmy, I've used it more then i thought i would lol...

Edit: should clarify, only once without the tool lol. Now that I got it, never stays out..