Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Is it just me? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/just-me-47583/)

AJBert 08-04-2010 08:47 PM

Is it just me?

Seems like there are quite a few topics started lately (as in the last year or more) that continually ask the same questions over and over and over. Yes, they are from the newer members and I try to be nice when I do post, but it seems it is getting worse.

We all should know how to do a search by now even if we don't know how to turn a wrench. I'll be the first to admit, though, I know how to turn a wrench better than trying to figure out the secrets of a forum.

On every forum I look at (before I ever join up) the first thing I do is look at the technical section and try to determine the level of experience/competence of the members. Now, just from this browsing I do I find out much more than a search will provide...usually.

Am I the only one that does this? I don't mind helping out the new folks but I do find it tiring to answer the same question over and over.

Just needed to vent a little, that's all. This is nothing against any new members on here as we all had to start from the beginning at one time.

sgp7679 08-04-2010 09:42 PM

well id just rather ask then search around. thats just me.

cbr995 08-04-2010 10:08 PM

It happens. At least it isn't exactly difficult to search here.
Also, if the topic has been gone over enough, or someone remembers a previous account of it, we usually post a link.

swartlkk 08-04-2010 10:29 PM

It seems that most people would rather have people wait on them than spend a few minutes of their own time to look around before they ask about something. This is a disturbing trend for sure. Not much you can do about it except feel good about yourself in that you helped someone else despite their poor attitude and sense of entitlement.

It seems that many forget that they are getting advice for free when they could be paying quite a bit of money for it.

old skool luvr 08-04-2010 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by sgp7679 (Post 351442)
well id just rather ask then search around. thats just me.

and i think Kyle nailed that one.

i really think we need to make a sticky in the forum that whenever you post a wheel/tire question, you have to answer a couple of questions regarding 31's, or "max" tire sizing, before the thread can be posted.

this would save alot of time (and space!!!!!) on the forum.

Shakenbake 08-04-2010 11:38 PM

No one said you have to answer any of the questions posted here. No one made you join the forum. If your tired of repeating the same answers time after time then just stop reading the posts. Sooner or later people may get the picture and search for themselves. I joined the forum to be apart of discussions concerning information and maintenance knowledge about the blazer. What good is it if I just search previous topics and not offer any input or ask any follow-up questions? Then it merely becomes an online library of opinions

sgp7679 08-04-2010 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shakenbake (Post 351507)
No one said you have to answer any of the questions posted here. No one made you join the forum. If your tired of repeating the same answers time after time then just stop reading the posts. Sooner or later people may get the picture and search for themselves. I joined the forum to be apart of discussions concerning information and maintenance knowledge about the blazer. What good is it if I just search previous topics and not offer any input or ask any follow-up questions? Then it merely becomes an online library of opinions

Well said, it might seem like an old question to some of you but to the newbies it is VERY helpful.

swartlkk 08-04-2010 11:54 PM

What good is it if I just search previous topics and not offer any input or ask any follow-up questions?

By searching for previous topics, you are doing background research into your problem. You may never have to ask a question if your research turns up the answer to your question and/or solution to your problem. Part of searching is to possibly find answers on your own, helping yourself rather than waiting for others to get the time to respond to your request. Also, you may find helpful hints and/or alternative views/procedures in other posts that might not be suggested in a new thread.

And in the event that you did not find exactly what you are looking for, by providing links to other threads that may be loosely related to your own problem(s) and/or question(s) shows that you put in some effort and, in return, others may be more willing to extend the effort to help you.

True, no one here is required to help anyone else. No one here gets paid to respond (I could only wish!). We all do it for our own reasons. By stating that you want to offer input or ask follow-up questions means you are in the select group of individuals that are here to help others. Good for you, but that sets you apart from the group that this discussion centers around.

For those just looking for answers, patience and putting forth an effort by searching goes a long way.

AJBert 08-05-2010 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 351524)
By searching for previous topics, you are doing background research into your problem. You may never have to ask a question if your research turns up the answer to your question and/or solution to your problem. Part of searching is to possibly find answers on your own, helping yourself rather than waiting for others to get the time to respond to your request. Also, you may find helpful hints and/or alternative views/procedures in other posts that might not be suggested in a new thread.

And in the event that you did not find exactly what you are looking for, by providing links to other threads that may be loosely related to your own problem(s) and/or question(s) shows that you put in some effort and, in return, others may be more willing to extend the effort to help you.

True, no one here is required to help anyone else. No one here gets paid to respond (I could only wish!). We all do it for our own reasons. By stating that you want to offer input or ask follow-up questions means you are in the select group of individuals that are here to help others. Good for you, but that sets you apart from the group that this discussion centers around.

For those just looking for answers, patience and putting forth an effort by searching goes a long way.

Very well put. I'm sure there are quite of few "members" that came on to ask a specific question, got the answer and we've never heard from them again. I have no problem helping folks out but try to help yourself first. As has been mentioned, if you found something that you don't understand that relates to your problem, by all means ask.

But truly, I've had enough of "how much lift do I need to fit" and "will I rub with these".

old skool luvr 08-05-2010 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by sgp7679 (Post 351512)
Well said, it might seem like an old question to some of you but to the newbies it is VERY helpful.

you guys are looking @ it all wrong.

the OP was showing his frustration, as many newer members (not all, but many) don't seem to be taking the time to actually spend some of their own time searching the former threads for the info that is already there.

@ no point did anyone say anything about not adding any new input. and there's never a problem with asking a NEW question.

but go look through the Tires and Wheels section, most of the questions are either, "can i put 31's on my 1995 and newer Blazer?" or something to the effect of, " what's the maximum tire i can fit on my 1995+ Blazer". seems like the same question, doesn't it? but it's amazing how many people ask the same question, over & over again.

No one said you have to answer any of the questions posted here. No one made you join the forum.

and if no one answers the question, then we get balsted as not being a helpful forum. kinda damn'd if you do, damn'd if you don't if you ask me.

and it sounds like you have a bit of a bitter attitude for a green member. but that's just my current opinion, and it's been known to change.

not often, but it can.

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 351524)

and a good thing with that would be to add to the discussion already going. something like, "was looking around, since i have the same issue as you, and found that your sollution worked great to fix my problem. thanks." a post like that shows all of us that you've actually spent the time to search through all of the other questions & answers relating to your problem, and found a solution to it. thereby showing us that you know how to use the forum's resources, and that we've already contributed a good solution to a wide spread problem.

ok. i think i'm done. for now.