Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   LED headlights (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/led-headlights-95470/)

GreenBlazer2002 10-08-2017 06:21 PM

LED headlights

I see a wide variety of these everywhere.
And there seems to be no end of manufacturers, with pricing from mild to wild.
So my question is who's running what in their blazers?
How much did they cost?
How do they perform?
How long have you had them?
Just trying to dial in the right info before I make a decision on what to buy.
Thanks all!

blazen_red_4x4 10-09-2017 12:38 PM

I have LED's in my low and high beams. They were a junk yard find. I can't remember the brand. If the headlight assemblies could focus the light I'm sure they'd be fine, but my passenger side shines up into the trees... And light output is sub-par... They were better with aftermarket HID's in the assemblies... Hell, regular halogen bulbs were better...

LED technology is there for headlights, a lot of cars are coming with them now, BUT, they are installed into assemblies that are designed to used them and focus the light. These universal LED bulbs just don't work well in halogen reflector headlight assemblies...

GreenBlazer2002 10-09-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 (Post 681047)
I have LED's in my low and high beams. They were a junk yard find. I can't remember the brand. If the headlight assemblies could focus the light I'm sure they'd be fine, but my passenger side shines up into the trees... And light output is sub-par... They were better with aftermarket HID's in the assemblies... Hell, regular halogen bulbs were better...

LED technology is there for headlights, a lot of cars are coming with them now, BUT, they are installed into assemblies that are designed to used them and focus the light. These universal LED bulbs just don't work well in halogen reflector headlight assemblies...

Good to know. I'll just look for some nice halogens then. Thanks for the feedback.

Hadyss 10-12-2017 11:37 AM

I have a set of odx led in my high and lows they work great but u have to make sure you put them in the housing the right way. if they aren't oriented just right they work shine right

GreenBlazer2002 10-12-2017 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hadyss (Post 681172)
I have a set of odx led in my high and lows they work great but u have to make sure you put them in the housing the right way. if they aren't oriented just right they work shine right

I just went ahead and ordered some white halogens. They were only $9 so if I'm not satisfied with them I'll try some LEDs.
What did you pay for them and where did you get them?

Hadyss 10-12-2017 03:01 PM

Got them at a place I used to work at for store cost so about 320 total for both sets

richphotos 10-12-2017 03:47 PM

LED bulbs in halogen housings is not only illegal but it blinds oncoming drivers.
Halogen housings do not have the optics to focus the LED properly.

Hadyss 10-12-2017 04:01 PM

It is not illegal here in sk, canada

richphotos 10-12-2017 04:46 PM

Highway Traffic Act section 62 sub 9 says:

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

The above describes that you may only light the front of a vehicle with a maximum of 4 white lamps having a total intensity of 300cd as specified.

Now that is in Ontario, but I imagine the same laws apply.

It is not illegal to sell them or buy them, or even put them in for that matter.
But to have something other than a halogen bulb in a halogen housing is.

But hey, if it works for you. That is fine, Just putting this out there for others.

Hadyss 10-12-2017 04:51 PM

Ya the law is different here in sk and I don’t have the halogen housing and the odx headlights are aimed already and dot approved. The cops don’t care about headlights here but they do care about lightbars