General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Most dangerous vehicle?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
FRICKINNUTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Most dangerous vehicle?!

Notice kia's on the list 3 times, must be because there $4000 cars....

Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

im confused...

i dont know if what i said above is right or not. does the study mean there were 308 deaths out of 1million vehicles or 1million blazers? if its out of ALL vehicles, then what i said is true and one reason the blazer has more deaths is because there are simply more blazers than a lot of other cars. but if it means 308 deaths out of 1 million blazers, THEN it means the blazer is just less safe.

however it says 197 popular models made between 99-02. that would mean there were 197million vehicles made between 99-02 which obviously, there were not

after taking statistics last year, every time i see a study or a survey, i completely overthink it and try to understand every variable out there

FRICKINNUTS

...kia's on the list 3 times...
chevy is on there 7 times

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mitchherman

Just a thought - the higher fatality rate might have to do with the typical Age/Gender driver attracted to a 2WD Blazer.
Young male drivers are not the safest things on the road.... I know... I used to be one. *smile*

I drive less like a maniac now that I don't have the delusion that I'm immortal till the day I die.
*wink*

i still am one and believe you me that is a very true statement. it hurts to say but it is true. and i'll have you know i am invincible.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I agree with you there. I think they takethe insurance statistics and proportionize them. So for example, if there is 100,000 2 door 2wd blazers that are in wrecks, there will be approximately 31 deaths. Proportional to 308/1m.
Some other articles I've read concerning it included this article with pictures of how the head-on part of the study was performed. Clicky

Deaths per million is just a proportionalized estimate done with cars in crash-test situations with the dummy. The dummy,(with6 accelerometers measuring g-force),sitting 15inches from the steering wheel, the steering wheel at a 28º angle to the body, and the seat at a 80º angle.
I personally don't like how the IIHS has the dummy sitting. No one in their right mind... unless you are a short person, would sit 15 inches from the steering wheel and only a very rotund person will have the steering wheel at a 28º angle. Thats just my take. The seat belt and the aribag will meet in the middle causing neck injuries, realistically, the airbag would have deployed before the driver had flown forward. Sitting so close with the seat at a 80º angle causes the upper body to fly forward and the airbag meet too soon. With the seat inclined to the average person's angleof 60-70º more of the forward motion would be spent sliding forward in the seat instead of the torso heading strait for the steering wheel. Get my drift?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

yeah i see what your sayin... it seems like there are quite a few things that are unrealistically tested.

i dont know about you but i sit a full arms length away from the steering wheel ~2.5-3 ft. i doubt the airbag will help me if (knock on wood) i ever get in a wreck

Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

Concerning our K5 owners,another article said thatfuel tank safety issues were a factor in the 80's model 1/2 ton-1 ton trucks
Well to get to my gas tank you're gonna have to go through 4" of steel. I feel fairly safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/83EE40D1265E451697B2A54631E4618A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

you would be surprised how much space the airbag takes up when it inflates, and it stings like a B****. almost like getting slapped by a giant velcro brick. But better then kissing a smashed up windshield or steering wheel.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

Concerning our K5 owners,another article said thatfuel tank safety issues were a factor in the 80's model 1/2 ton-1 ton trucks
Well to get to my gas tank you're gonna have to go through 4" of steel. I feel fairly safe.
LOL Or under 4" of steel. Sorry about that... I just had to kick it out there.

And yes airbags sting. A friend of mine has a face full of scratches because his deployed unwarranted when he hit a parking bouy.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I hope my air bag never goes off... If it tags me in the face, there's a good chance I'm going blind, since I wear glasses...

What's going to happen to them when that air bag hits 'em going the opposite direction that my face is going? I'm screwed, lol

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran

that hurts just thinking about glass shattering in to your eyes

when i had to take defensive driving 2 years ago, i remember it said you are supposed to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 and not at 10 and 2 because if the airbag goes off, it couldpush your arms up against the roof and SNAP

but i drive with my left hand directly on top of the steering wheel so i think if it goes off, it will push my arm up and to the left, through the window, elbow first [sm=smiley24.gif]

Quick Reply: Most dangerous vehicle?!