General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

NH Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Coleman Mason is on a distinguished road
Default NH Window Tinting

I am looking to tint my windows i know i can go as black as i want on the back windows but i want to go to 20% on the driver side and passenger side front windows have any of you had an experience with the police and getting tickets for tinting?

Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have had numerous tickets for my tint level on my 81 malibu back in the 1990`s.It doesn`t effect your insurance rate, it only effects your wallet.Tint ticket isn`t a moving violation,it`s a vehicle equipment violation. No matter what state you live in,you can`t install any front tint window that`s darker than 35%/45%.The rear windows on a 4 door vehicle can`t be darker than 20%.front windshield can`t be more than 6".Very rearward window can be any darkness you want.I know one thing, having tint on a vehicle saves the dash,seats from fading and cracking.Plus it helps your interior to stay cooler, which puts less strain on your A/C compressor.i`ve been hooked on tinted windows since the first day my malibu was first tinted back in 1993.I had all of my windows(double limo) tint..Not long afterwards, the state of Louisiana started cracking down on tinted windows.The cops couldn`t see in your car,so they complained that this was dangerous for them.Not all people are criminals that want to shoot a cop on a traffic stop.They can have it, but we can`t have dark tint on a vehicle that we pay lots of money to own and operate.To make things worse, the state bought lots of hand held tint meters to hand out to the state troopers and all of the inspection stations throughout louisiana.They figured this would be the best way to enforce the tint laws.If your front windows are darker than 35% you won`t be able to get an inspection sticker.That`s why I went to the guys I knew who ran a inspection station.All I had to do is leave a $20 bill on the front seat,that was it.That all came to an end, when the louisiana state troopers started (actually) watching the inspection stations, to make sure they where enforceing the tinted window laws.

I`m getting ready to have my front windows tinted on my ride.I will go legal so I won`t have to worry about getting pulled over just for tint on my windows.If I where you..I would abide by the law too.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

i also have tint on my 2dr never been pulled over for it being to dark so im guessing its close enough to legal all back windows are dark as hell tho..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 AM
Coleman Mason is on a distinguished road

that is what i am wanting to do what percent do you have on the front windows

Old 12-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

Not sure tint was on when I bought it whatever is legal I'm guessing

Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Starting Member
madmaxxed is on a distinguished road

My blazer isn't tinted up front by my Mini Cooper is. After about 6 years I just recently started having issues with the police. I just submitted a medical waiver to the state to allow for applied tint on the fronts and even the windshield. This will be good for 2 years and then I will have to renew it. I'm running 15% in the back and 20% up front. There isn't any difference between the them.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

A medical waiver for tinted windshield? In Michigan, the Secretary of State says "Buy a pair of sunglasses. Now move! You're blocking the line. NEXT!"

Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Coleman Mason
I am looking to tint my windows i know i can go as black as i want on the back windows but i want to go to 20% on the driver side and passenger side front windows have any of you had an experience with the police and getting tickets for tinting?
Look up your state law you can only go %35 on on the rears and a 6" windshield visor and any tint on the front sides is illegal in NH.

Tint Laws

In VA its %50 on the front sides and %35 on any rear window but the law does state that if the vehicle is on a "truck chassis" you can go as dark as you want on any rear windows but the %50 law still applies to the front sides and the windshield can only be tinted to the AS1 line. VA does has a medical exception that will allow you to tint to %35 on the front sides and its not very hard to get either as any eye doctor can give you the required documentation to make it happen.

That being said my blazer is tinted %5 all the way around except the windshield. I have never been stopped for it but I am pretty careful and try to roll my front windows down if I see a cop. I have been stopped in the past with other vehicles I have owned as well as my wife gets stopped about once a year for her %5 on her mustang.

Originally Posted by Toocute350
No matter what state you live in,you can`t install any front tint window that`s darker than 35%/45%.The rear windows on a 4 door vehicle can`t be darker than 20%.front windshield can`t be more than 6".
This part isn't accurate. There are states that allow for %20 on the fronts and any on the rears. Some states even allow you to tint your entire windshield.