Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   No Fluid (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/no-fluid-47695/)

sgp7679 08-07-2010 09:11 PM

No Fluid

I did the rear brakes on my blazer today and I went to bleed them and im not getting any fluid to the rear right cylinder. What causes this?

Gimpy Blazer 08-07-2010 09:26 PM

Collapsed hose or plugged line perhaps.

sgp7679 08-07-2010 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well when i pulled the drum off it was a greasy mess. The whole drum and all components were packed with grease lol. The cylinder was busted and I was surprised no fluid was leaking out. Installed new cylinder and filled master cylinder and opened bleed valve and hit brakes and even e brake pedal and nothing. How would I check for clogged lines?

old skool luvr 08-08-2010 01:47 AM

you said it was only the right wheel cylinder that wasn't draining any fluid? try removing the line from the cylinder, see what comes out.

if that doesn't work, try removing the line @ the splitter block @ end of the rear flex line (from the frame to the diff).

tell us what happens.

regarding your pic's.............i have no idea how that truck of yours was stopping. how long have you owned that thing?

sgp7679 08-08-2010 12:06 PM

ive owned it just for a few days. It actually stops great. better than my moms acura mdx. the line from the cylinder is dry, i pulled it and nothing is coming out.

01BlackBeauty 08-08-2010 02:04 PM

That greasy mess is a combination of brake fluid, brake shoe material and dirt. If the truck was driven for any amount of time with a blown wheel cylinder it's no wonder the brake line is dry. You need to bleed the system to get the air out of the line. If you have a bleed tool you can do it yourself. If not, you will need a friend to help you. Have your friend depress the brake pedal and hold, then open the bleed valve on the wheel cylinder. While pressure is still being applied to the pedal close the bleed valve. Release the pedal, depress and hold then open/close the bleed valve again. Continue this pattern until a solid stream of fluid (no air spirts) comes from the bleed valve. Check and refill the master cylinder often so you don't draw more air into the system. Since the rear brake lines were run dry you may need to reset (center) the proportioning valve in order to get fluid to flow through the rear lines. There is a centering switch located on the proportioning valve (usually under a rubber cover). It needs to be depressed and held in during the bleed process. A small C clamp can be used for this.

sgp7679 08-08-2010 06:33 PM

how do I adjust the proportioning valve?

swartlkk 08-08-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 01BlackBeauty (Post 352485)
Since the rear brake lines were run dry you may need to reset (center) the proportioning valve in order to get fluid to flow through the rear lines. There is a centering switch located on the proportioning valve (usually under a rubber cover). It needs to be depressed and held in during the bleed process. A small C clamp can be used for this.

Maybe do that ^^^^ ? :icon_shrug: :icon_wink:

01BlackBeauty 08-08-2010 08:21 PM

Look for a rubber boot on the proportioning valve. It's usually located between the front/rear brake lines. Under that boot is a metal plunger. Depress the plunger using a C clamp, then bledd your brakes. Remove the C clamp after you're done bleeding the system and depress the brake pedal a few times to center the valve. Usually this is not necessary unless one side or the other of the system has lost a good majority of it's fluid. From the looks of your backing plate and shoes I'd say you lost it all from the rear. BTW - you also need to bleed the other rear wheel cylider to purge any air from that line also.

sgp7679 08-08-2010 10:13 PM

ok well i found the rubber boot and under it was the plunger. the nipple peice was flush or maybe sticking out just a little. I dont have a c-clamp but i tried pushing it with other things. I doesn't push in. I read that I could open one of the front wheel cylinder and push the pedal to recenter the valve but that didnt work. I also read to drive then stomp on the pedal and i should hear a pop but I didnt hear anything and still no fluid to the back. people say that the plunger would be "popped out under the boot if it was off center, am I supposed to see the nipple thing or not? Im just not understanding that nipple piece, maybe someone could post a pic of what it should look like when its centered?