General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

power locks not working, hatch wont open 99 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, not sure how to manually open the whole tailgate... But I do know how to open the glass portion on these one piece style hatches.
You will have to, from inside, break a small piece of trim right by the locking mechanism. Stick a screwdriver down into the mechanism, and there should be a metal bar to push down. That should pop the glass.
I read a thread on here about it, then tried it at the salvage yard.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member
1999redblazer is on a distinguished road

I can open glass but I can't fit a washing machine through lol I need whole gate imma try change this relay tomorrow, i also need gate open to change brake light. Otherwise harbor here it goes, I'm trying to keep truck low budget I got less tgsnt 1k in it

Old 12-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

bump, i need to get gate open so i change brake light.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

bump i need gate to open so i can change brake light. i dont wanna get busted with brake light out. also i need gate to open so i can scrap

Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Beginning Member
Default 99 blazer, power locks and mirrors not working.

i don't really care about the power mirrors but i noticed they weren't working either not sure if two are related.

My main concern is the power lock issue, since i cannot open the rear gate (the actuator is switched to lock mode) i also need gate to come up so i can change a brake light.

i would appreciate any feedback, even if i had to manually open the hatch up it would be fine.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I merged your previous thread with this one, please don't make duplicate threads for the same issue.

I was in a similar situation once, and I was able to take the interior panel off the rear gate with it closed and locked, and then open the gate manually from the inside. It did put a small crack on the panel to get it out, but if you aren't worried about that panel, I suggest doing it this way as a temporary fix so you can get back to making money.

this is gonna sound stupid. But have you tried the power lock switch on the passenger side? It's possible your switch panel on the driver's side is going bad, since you have two problems stemming from there.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

passenger panel makes a little noise doesnt do anything, i am going to remove switch on driver side and try to clean it. i have the panel pulled back on the rear hatch still cannot get it to unlock not sure if i am hitting right part, its the style hatch where the hatch goes up with the glass. it doesnt have the gate like the jimmy

Old 12-28-2018, 06:05 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

It's been a minute but iirc you have to pull up on a lever to unlock, and then squeeze another part of the latch towards the middle of the truck to unlatch.

I am 100% you can unlock it from in there. Mine is the hatch style as well

Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chevyriders
It's been a minute but iirc you have to pull up on a lever to unlock, and then squeeze another part of the latch towards the middle of the truck to unlatch.

I am 100% you can unlock it from in there. Mine is the hatch style as well

ill try that today and let u know how i do, im free today after 12 and have all day tomorrow. i dont want to throw any money at it so i hope i can get it sorted.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

I busted loose the Back panel there was a small switch to left, I got a coat hanger thru it and now I can unlock and lock it manually thanks guys. Sorry if I was a pain

Quick Reply: power locks not working, hatch wont open 99 blazer