Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   pulled a durango out of ditch (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/pulled-durango-out-ditch-61291/)

sprbld417 07-20-2011 06:20 AM

pulled a durango out of ditch

So just came back from a trip that I think you guys may enjoy. I have a '91 s10 blazer 4x4, 4.3 tbi that just turned 225,000. This blazer is rusted thoroughly (both front body mounts rusted through) and is basically in pretty poor condition. Also in need of a tune up sometime soon. Definitely no where near to how a normal blazer should perform. So anyways, I got a call at 2 in the morning that a 12 year old girl had driven my friend's mom's 2006 dodge durango with the 5.7l hemi (8 passenger) off of a tiny cliff. Upon arrival I found the dodge at almost a perfect 45 degree angle with both rear tires off of the ground, and front center part of the body sitting on the ground. The front tires were still on the ground, but the suspension travel was near maxed out. I preceded to go home and get some ****ty rope and a bike lock because these were the only towing methods available and went out in the blazer. I tried pulling it probably a dozen times with the rope and bike lock and was quite disappointed with their tensile strength, so to speak. I went back to my friend's house and scrounged through their garage for something. I found this gigantic 30 lb chain which I figured I could do something with. I drove back and within 50 feet of the truck I was going to pull out, I had run out of gas. My brother took out a one gallon which had roughly 6 fluid ounces remaining and poured it into my truck. Due to the lack of materials needed to pull someone out, no tow hitch on the dodge, and NO TOOLS, I decided to pull the main pin out of my tow hitch, and reinstall it with this gigantic chain in a way which it would not come out, and figure out what to do with the durango (since it had no tow hitch). One of the kids pulled out the tiniest pry bar out of the truck which probably went to the scissor jack inside the truck or something. I was bending this thing with my hands and I was seriously considering whether this thing was metal or plastic. They said try it, so we slid this thing through the two holes and a link of the chain for the tow hitch on the dodge and went to go pull it. I put it in 4lo and I took the slack out and tried to slowly roll the throttle on to pull this dodge out. My tires spun helplessly the second any torque was applied. After this first attempt with the big chain, and knowing that I had to do something quick before my truck died again, I rolled back five feet, put it in drive and gunned it, and to my surprise the truck ripped out of there in one quick and harsh motion. Some key parts that did help was that I was on pavement and I had my brother in the dodge holding a steady 1500 rpm 4x4 reverse. I am once again baffled at the little blazer's ability to pull **** out. this was an 8 pass v8 suv dug DEEP. There were multiple flat clumps of dirt falling out afterwards that were roughly 2x the size of the vehicle's own oil pan. I've always had my quirks about the old blazer (and i've had many!), but it never lets me down when in need.

El_Beautor 07-20-2011 07:58 AM

Good thing you were able to find the chain and get them out. Our blazers are a lot more capable than some think. This is why I keep a recovery strap in both of my vehicles. There's been a number of times where I've happened onto someone who's gotten themselves stuck. Its even been used to yank me out a couple of times :icon_wink:.

xgiovannix12 07-20-2011 11:09 AM

haha i keep a tow strap and a chain in my rig. I pulled a decent amount of cars my self with my blazer. Stuck or in ditches and i do fine

I love my blazer <3