General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bull Bars/Bumper Guards!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bull Bars/Bumper Guards!

I'm looking at getting a small piece of steel to strap on the front of my Blazer. I'm not interested in a large piece over ~200, or knocking over trees. All I need is a clean place to mount a pair of lights. Here are 2 I'm considering:

Westin Safari: Westin Automotive - Safari Light Bar

Go Industries: Knockdown Grille Guards & Brush Guards

Any experiences with either of these, or any other models that might fit my needs? Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

One thing you should look into is the amount of area around where the lights mount & what size lights you're getting. Some won't accept a 4" or larger light housing, especially on bull bars.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Starting Member

Both have the ability to mount lights, so I'm not concerned about that. I'll buy lights to fit the bar, not a bar to fit lights.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road

I have the Westin Safari Light Bar and I love it. You can check out the photos on my profile page if you want, I have a couple of close-ups.

If you need some more pictures let me know.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by IanD
I have the Westin Safari Light Bar and I love it. You can check out the photos on my profile page if you want, I have a couple of close-ups.

If you need some more pictures let me know.
Being that the Safari was the only one I could get in town, I ordered it. I don't need any more pictures for now... Until the swearing starts installing it

It looks nice. I got the black one too

Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
BF Veteran

Link says "mount kit required". Did you get that as well?
I can't tell if it's frame mounted or bumper mounted.
Frame mounted is easier IMO. Remove the tow hook bolts * slip the plates behind them, possibly new bolts. Bumper mount involves drilling & possibly removing the bumper to tighten things up. At least the bumper mounts mount at the frame rails, so they're pretty strong.

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-12-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Link says "mount kit required". Did you get that as well?
I can't tell if it's frame mounted or bumper mounted.
Frame mounted is easier IMO. Remove the tow hook bolts * slip the plates behind them, possibly new bolts. Bumper mount involves drilling & possibly removing the bumper to tighten things up. At least the bumper mounts mount at the frame rails, so they're pretty strong.
Yep got the mounting kit. And it's frame mounted judging by the PDF instructions on their website. I really didn't feel like drilling was a good idea, so I strayed away from those models.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran

Cool, my grille guard is the drill/bumper mount. I could have sworn it showed brackets that frame mount. Grrrr anyway I know it's strong because streblo backed into me when I was pulling his ZR2 out of the snow a couple Decembers ago lol. I have that vid in my youtube.
I'd have preferred frame mounted by far but I made it work AND I can fit my Piaa 520i's in it.

WTG & installation sould be a breeze, just PB Blaster, WD-40 or w/e a day or 2 before hand on the tow hook nuts n bolts. It helps keep the swearing down when kids are around lol

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
IanD is on a distinguished road

My light bar is bumper mount, and it's extremely easy to install. It's literally unscrewing two bolts from where the bumper and frame meet, lining up the bracket and installing the new bolts and nuts. The pictures that came with the light bar are a bit confusing, just make sure that it's in the correct view. Yeah real easy to do, 30 minutes max.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by IanD
My light bar is bumper mount, and it's extremely easy to install. It's literally unscrewing two bolts from where the bumper and frame meet, lining up the bracket and installing the new bolts and nuts. The pictures that came with the light bar are a bit confusing, just make sure that it's in the correct view. Yeah real easy to do, 30 minutes max.
Ya the pictures confused me too. Also did you find the bolt sizes to be wrong? I went under there looking for 10mm bolt heads (what the instructions said) and found out the actual ones were larger. Other than that, it was quite easy!

Quick Reply: Bull Bars/Bumper Guards!