General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I need help on real axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Beginning Member
chevyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help on real axle

My 95 blazer LS doesn't brake forcibly and efficiently, and i wanna convert the rear drum brake to 98+ disc brake, however, i found the rear axle is different between 95-97 and 98+, is 95 blazer equipped with DANA 44 rear axle or GM's 10 bolt?

Given that i am going to convert the existing drum brakes to disc brake, do i need replace the whole rear axle ASM, or i just need do the real axle shafts? so that the rest will fit on...

any tips will be very much appreciated, thanx in advance!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

All s-series had a gm 10 bolt, danas were never offered in them.

There were some different sizes and and axle ratios but for the most part they interchange easily.

The ford 8.8 is a common and pretty easy swap but not as bolt in as a s-series axle. A lot stronger.

Easiest thing is to replace the whole axle as long as its the same gear ratio. The brake parts will bolt on your housing easy enough if you have to go that route. No worse than doing a major brake overhaul.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Beginning Member
chevyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it! now i just kick off to rebuild; in addition, i found parts no. 26050549 for 98+ real axle shaft which fits the rear disc brakes i plan to install, and parts no. for my current 95 real axle shaft is 26013882, however, these two are both 29 inch in length, 5 lugs, 28 splines...., and look identical, i suspect if they are the same thing, just offered under difference codes? Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'm with Neo71665 in suggesting that you just replace the whole axle, rather than just the shafts, unless you're comfortable with replacing the shafts. Replacing the whole axle is quite easy and can be done with basic hand tools. I did it by myself in my driveway. The only thing to watch for is that you find an axle with the same gear ratio to match your front differential. The one new part you'll need if you decide to replace the whole axle is a new parking brake cable. The drum brake cable is different from the disc brake cable, but you're going to have to replace the cable no matter what you do. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

Just one thing to be aware of that I found out from past expeience. Mine was a '97 4wd and I had rear axle replaced. Had it done and they had to go through 3 to get one that was correct. First two appeared to be the same but when they tried to install the tires they hit the fender wells and wouldn't bolt on. Just a little bit of difference in the overall length.

Funny part of it was they found that out on the first one and didn't bother to measure the second one and put it in anyway and found it was too short also. Tape measure would have saved them a lot of trouble and work.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rpeastep
Just one thing to be aware of that I found out from past expeience. Mine was a '97 4wd and I had rear axle replaced. Had it done and they had to go through 3 to get one that was correct. First two appeared to be the same but when they tried to install the tires they hit the fender wells and wouldn't bolt on. Just a little bit of difference in the overall length.

Funny part of it was they found that out on the first one and didn't bother to measure the second one and put it in anyway and found it was too short also. Tape measure would have saved them a lot of trouble and work.

Good luck.
Yep, you need to make sure that if you have a 4x4 you get an axle from a 4x4. The 2wd S-series uses an axle that's 2 or 3 inches narrower than the 4x4. As well, the ZR2 axle is another 3 inches wider than the 4x4 axle, which may be desireable depending on what you're trying to do with your truck.