Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   S10 Blazer vs. Jeep Cherokee vs. 4Runner vs. ? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/s10-blazer-vs-jeep-cherokee-vs-4runner-vs-97749/)

christine_208 09-13-2018 12:06 PM

S10 Blazer vs. Jeep Cherokee vs. 4Runner vs. ?

So I came to my Blazer because it could do what I needed it to do, I was familiar with them (I had had a 92 2dr), and it was in my price range. But especially after seeing all of the off-road mods people do to their Blazers (even I have installed a smaller suspension lift and most recently a steering stabilizer) I was wondering what people thought about the relative pros/cons of the other mid-sized SUVs out there, specifically the Jeep Cherokees and 4Runners, compared to our (S10) Blazers.

I see some Blazer owners going for solid front axle swap yet the Jeep came with that. Perhaps only anecdotally, as evidenced by the relative price on the used market for otherwise the same mileage and age, 4Runners seem to go for a higher price which could imply a higher desirability over Blazers. So why Blazers and not one of the others or some other mid-sized SUV?

Is there something I'm missing about our Blazers I should appreciate more? :)

Thoughts??

Tom A 09-13-2018 12:22 PM

I'd stay away from the Cherokee because it's a unibody. It works fine if left stock, but can be weak when modified for off-road. The 4runner is a good, dependable vehicle, probably more so than the Blazer. But who wants to drive a Toyota?

christine_208 09-13-2018 04:28 PM

c

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 695699)
I'd stay away from the Cherokee because it's a unibody. It works fine if left stock, but can be weak when modified for off-road. The 4runner is a good, dependable vehicle, probably more so than the Blazer. But who wants to drive a Toyota?

I was thinking of the older Cherokees with the body-on-frame design, not the Grand Cherokees. As for driving a Toyota? Yeah, don't know exactly why but for 4x4s, Chevy seems about right. LOL

My daily driver when the weather is not snowy is an 82 Prelude.:icon_oldskewl: That thing runs great. Even the AC still works!

The fun car is the 68 Mustang! :icon_wcam: :icon_musclecar: Vroom, vroom!

jimspahr@msn.com 09-15-2018 10:23 AM

I like my Chevy Blazer, but wanted to suggest two options to consider. I know you want to tow with your SUV. So how about a Chevy Tahoe from the 1996-2001 era. They have a 5.7 V8 that is a Vortec engine and has some similarities to our 4.3 L Vortex V6. It can get 17 -19 mpg on the hwy/ not towing! It is smaller, lighter, and far less complex than the current Tahoe/Yukon. Not to mention a lot cheaper. With the V8 torque , it will tow. You can get 2 WD or 4WD versions.
The second option is a Chevy Trailblazer with the rare V8 option. The Trailblazer is a little larger than the S-10 Blazer and has the 6 lug wheels. But finding a good used one with the 5.3L factory option is going to be difficult. They normally come with a straight six OHC engine. I wonder if the rare V8 option will drive the price up.

christine_208 09-15-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com (Post 695810)
I like my Chevy Blazer, but wanted to suggest two options to consider. I know you want to tow with your SUV. So how about a Chevy Tahoe from the 1996-2001 era. They have a 5.7 V8 that is a Vortec engine and has some similarities to our 4.3 L Vortex V6. It can get 17 -19 mpg on the hwy/ not towing! It is smaller, lighter, and far less complex than the current Tahoe/Yukon. Not to mention a lot cheaper. With the V8 torque , it will tow. You can get 2 WD or 4WD versions.
The second option is a Chevy Trailblazer with the rare V8 option. The Trailblazer is a little larger than the S-10 Blazer and has the 6 lug wheels. But finding a good used one with the 5.3L factory option is going to be difficult. They normally come with a straight six OHC engine. I wonder if the rare V8 option will drive the price up.

Those are good suggestions. Thanks!

For now, I'll be keeping my Blazer until either something really bad happens to it (I hope not) or I realize it just cannot do what I need an SUV to be able to do for me. As for the Tahoes, I was hoping whatever rig I would have next would be no older than 10 y.o. when I got it. Then again, if I could find a 4x4 Tahoe that was a suburban grocery getter, it might be good enough, if I decide I need one. :)