Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Single or Dual CB Antennas? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/single-dual-cb-antennas-46153/)

m3ch 06-25-2010 12:07 AM

Single or Dual CB Antennas?

okay, so how are they working for you, i wanna know lol, im thinking about getting a dual Setup but i hear our trucks arent wide enough? what do you guys think? oh btw, i searched and couldnt find anything

wlorton 06-25-2010 10:33 PM

I think there was a member on here who answered this for me... Basically they need to be an optimum distance apart to be of benefit... Our blazers sadly are not wide enough.... Now the guy this info came from will probably chime in... and give the true expert advice as I know very little about CB radios....

Check out the search function, I don't think you can search cb, but check out radio or antenna.... you should get something worthwhile

serrasalmus 06-25-2010 11:21 PM

in order for dual antennas to be affective they need to be at least half the distance of the truck in two and if not you cant get the swr level to a accepable level a single in the midle of the roof (wilson trucker 5000 is a great roof mount) or a good ol 102" whip on the center of the bumper is about best for a blazer

m3ch 06-26-2010 03:02 AM

well looks like im going with a dummy one, hopefully itll look alright, should, i didnt want my truck looking like a gaint remote controlled car lol, now i need to find a swr tuner, now to the next question, i have a white blazer, black tint etc, white or black whips

serrasalmus 06-26-2010 08:59 AM

if u put the antenna on one side you will transmit and receive better facing one direction then the others, it use's the car body as a ground plane and unless the antenna is in the middle of the car its going to do it. that's why i said put it in the middle of the bumper. on mine im going to put mine on the spare tire rack towards the center. if your really sold on duals for looks, they make a 2ft coiled whip that you could do one on each mirror but the range u are gunna get isnt gunna be the best

jmaynard 06-26-2010 10:00 AM

If you have two antennas within a quarter-wavelength of each other, they will interact and detune each other and simply not work very well. For CB, a quarter-wavelength is 102 inches. (Does that number sound familiar? It should.) If you put two of them on opposite sides of your Blazer, they won't be far enough apart. That's why a dual antenna setup is a bad idea for anything smaller than a semi.

m3ch 06-26-2010 10:47 PM

eh ill go with one then, ill just mount it on the luggage rack =) dead center, it will be better than what i have on there now, i had a glass mount antenna from my cavalier all taped up on there and it wasnt working very well so single in the center of the truck =)

83Blazer4x4 06-26-2010 11:56 PM

I know from my experience with military radios, which I know is not the same as a cb; would putting one on the front bumper and one on the back bumper be far enough apart. Not sure if this is something you would want to do on a regular vehicle, I would do it on mine though if it that was a possible way to do it. I am also looking in the feasibility of using an old military antenna as a cb antenna.

m3ch 06-27-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by 83Blazer4x4 (Post 341384)
I know from my experience with military radios, which I know is not the same as a cb; would putting one on the front bumper and one on the back bumper be far enough apart. Not sure if this is something you would want to do on a regular vehicle, I would do it on mine though if it that was a possible way to do it. I am also looking in the feasibility of using an old military antenna as a cb antenna.

uhh it should be, ive heard of people doing this, umm, as long as its like 9.5 feet? ull get the forward and rear direction i do beilve, run one wire from the tail gate, under the carpet, and up to the CB. and run the other wire under the hood, and under the steering wheel area (just above the pedals), military antennas as far as i think, are more or less like police radio antennas? i would think atleast, i dont know much about cb and antennas lol, i guess all i would say, much like im doing, is do more research

Hanr3 06-28-2010 01:09 AM

One reason semi's use dual antennas is so they can transmit and receive long distances in front and behind them. The two antennas work together and transmit/receive better in a rectangular pattern. A single antenna will transmit/receive in a circular pattern provided its placed in teh middle of the ground plane. Placeing one attenna on each bumper will give you great reception from both side of the vehicle and not much from the front/back.

The best location is the center of the roof.
I mounted mine to the passengers rear quarter panel with 2/3 of the antenna above the roof line. I get great reception/transmit to the front left of my truck and a very weak signal from teh back right. By weak maybe 2-3miles. Up front 8 miles or so.

By far the best site for CB antenna question is Firestik.com
Read the Tech section and FAQ section. They explain it in laymans terms.
Plus they make a great product, better than the rest.