Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   thinking of sway bar removal? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/thinking-sway-bar-removal-48391/)

jackdough 08-27-2010 07:47 PM

thinking of sway bar removal?

a couple of months ago i decided to remove the rear swar bar on my jimmy. works beauty off road and not a whole lot of difference on the road... so i thought lol. i was at a stop sign making a left at a slight uphill. ive got a pretty heavy foot and love to hear the exhaust so i giv'er quite a bit. well it managed to lift the front left tire right off the ground lol. came up pretty high and felt like it was gonna roll till i jerked the wheel the other way and she slammed back down. scary but fun lol. just a little warning to anyone thinking of doing this

91chevywt 08-27-2010 10:33 PM

Are you saying that a stock jimmy minus rear sway bar lifted a front tire off the ground?

NVANZEE 08-27-2010 10:41 PM

i have done that with mine but its lifted and i hit a bump right as i was accelerating and it shifted. Which mine shift pretty had since the tune. It has only happened once. Its hard to believe a stock jimmy did it

Jimbotopotomous 08-27-2010 11:25 PM

Yeah, if you drive at any decent speed it's just plain unsafe to have no sway bar, mainly in the front. All it takes is a biker going down in front of you or a kid that forgot to look both ways for things to get ugly. I've driven my jimmy without the front sway bar attached (the links rotted off, lol) and trust me it isn't safe.

blazerboyz 08-28-2010 12:27 AM

Sway bars were put on these trucks for the reason you said in ur post. I forget what year they started in the rear with a sway bar i think it was 97 or 98??? So if i were u i would hook it back up, so you DONT flip it

NVANZEE 08-28-2010 06:40 AM

i dont think the rear has much affect. I know the front will. Mines not to bad without the rear sway bar even though its lifted. You dont get new brackets for the rear when you lift it

CNYCountryKidd 08-28-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by blazerboyz (Post 357478)
Sway bars were put on these trucks for the reason you said in ur post. I forget what year they started in the rear with a sway bar i think it was 97 or 98??? So if i were u i would hook it back up, so you DONT flip it

I've got a 95 and it has a rear sway bar.

jackdough 08-28-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 91chevywt (Post 357446)
Are you saying that a stock jimmy minus rear sway bar lifted a front tire off the ground?

its not totally stock but ya thats what im saying. if you think about it it makes sense the front as limited travel because of the sway bar and te back has a ton of room. throw all that torque at it and she will lift (under the right conditions)

91chevywt 08-28-2010 09:27 AM

Ok, so it was lifting more because it was about to flip. For some reason I thought you were saying you took off in a straight line and the front left tire lifted off the ground from 'all that chevy 4.3 horsepower'. Makes more sense to me now.

jackdough 08-28-2010 09:52 AM

lol man i wish. maybe one day when i win the lottery and shes 500 horse lol