General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

V8 conversion in 2000 4x4 -avoid what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
DeeZee is on a distinguished road
Default V8 conversion in 2000 4x4 -avoid what?

I can't post in the builds section- I've gone through the FAQ. Forum rules for new guys says I should be able to post in everything but the classifieds.. Posting this here for now.

None of the builds go into the selection of the hard parts- I'm looking to see if there's just common stuff that everyone knows "of course never use xyz- everyone uses abc company stuff it's the best" adn that's why there is nothing posted about it.

Specifically- the V8 4x4 complete sets that are offered.. using the 2.8 mounts plus the vendor stuff I see is the route- but is any one vendor considered to be superrior, or any other vendor just junk that breaks?

What I've seen so far:

- Don't lift the truck- makes it harder to do the v8 conversion
- engine mounting position is slightly adjustable- push it forward.
- the correct headers are absolutely needed.
- pushbutton 4x4 operation can be retained- no need to go to 2wd
- pusher electric fan needed
- computer is never retained- use the v8 computer
- engine looks cocked in compartment afterward- really?

ANy comments people? thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

JagsThatRun.com is the definitive source for parts/info. They literally wrote the book on s-series v8 conversions.

I'm not sure that a lift really makes that much of a difference. A body lift does make bolting the trans up easier.

The conversion mounts have slotted holes so the engine can be adjusted ~1" overall front to back.

There is limited space, so having properly fitting headers is a necessity.

There is no reason you cannot keep your 4wd.

I have seen a pusher fan used, but have also seen a regular pull through fan used. It all depends on how much clearance you end up with.

Depending on what engine you end up going with, you may be able to reuse your PCM, just having it reprogrammed with the v8 tune.

The mounts are different side to side which will push the motor over a bit. This is typically to add clearance on the driver side to account for the steering box.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
DeeZee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
JagsThatRun.com is the definitive source for parts/info. They literally wrote the book on s-series v8 conversions.

Depending on what engine you end up going with, you may be able to reuse your PCM, just having it reprogrammed with the v8 tune.

The mounts are different side to side which will push the motor over a bit. This is typically to add clearance on the driver side to account for the steering box.
Thanks for the site, I recall hearing of it in travels but never looked. I spent time on s10v8.com and in the project forum here on BF (ha, is it called that? I know that as BimmerForums.com). Their 4x4 V8 swap kit is what I'm trying to see if people use/hate/avoid..

Great news about the PCM, thanks.. I'll keep it in mind. Good-ol 1pc rear main seal SBC chevy- actually a 383 that I had in my 89 IROC before I put it back to stock and sold it 4 years ago. I was assuming I would go painless and a GM 7730 MAP TPI setup if you know if that is a flash-able deal for the existing pcm. 2 banks of 4 injectors and no direct-coil control (re-phrased, I mean there is a distributor that the TPI computer controls the spark through, not individual or waste-fire coils or 1 coil per plug). The tranny will need it's computer signal I beleive..for the OD.. and the dash instruments need something- not sure how that works yet.. I still have reading to do- more research..

Emissions if my biggest concern. The 383 has a mild(for a 383) LT4 hot-cam. not much detectable lope and about 16" vacuum at 700rpm. We have a tailpipe test for old cars.. they got rid of the DYNO test because all the pre-OBD1 cars are so old they qualify for a tailpipe test anyway (I really think the state realized that they can save money by ripping out the dynos so they changed the law). If they try to plug-in to my computer they'll have the wrong connector and maybe fail me? we'll see.. I'm not stopping the build

Last edited by DeeZee; 06-09-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Typically when you swap engines you drop in something newer than what you have, and thus reduce your emission output. You may need to swap the cat too.

I'll be doing a V8 swap eventually. Just waiting for the moon and stars to line up. I want an aluminun block V8. No emission test in my neck of the woods.