General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Adjusting 1-3 inch Torsion Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
BlazeOneDown is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting 1-3 inch Torsion Keys

I purchased a 1995 Blazer Lt and he installed 2” shackles and 1-3 inch keys. Question is if I lower the torsion keys down can I avoid front end parts wearing out or should I source stock keys? Thanks for you help!

Old 03-11-2024, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You should be able to turn the keys down and lower the front to factory ride height. The best way would be to have a alignment shop do it because they'll know the proper suspension measurements to be within factory spec, and you're going to want a wheel alignment done after changing the front suspension dynamics.

If you want to do it yourself and to get close to factory, look for the CV axles to be near level. One full turn of the torsion key bolt equals approximately 1/4" ride height. Remember that you need to drive the truck around the block after adjusting the torsion keys so that the suspension has a chance to settle before you do any measurements.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
You should be able to turn the keys down and lower the front to factory ride height. The best way would be to have a alignment shop do it because they'll know the proper suspension measurements to be within factory spec, and you're going to want a wheel alignment done after changing the front suspension dynamics.

If you want to do it yourself and to get close to factory, look for the CV axles to be near level. One full turn of the torsion key bolt equals approximately 1/4" ride height. Remember that you need to drive the truck around the block after adjusting the torsion keys so that the suspension has a chance to settle before you do any measurements.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m need to replace the idler arm and pitman arm as well. I’ll get it all done and get it in for an alignment. Much appreciated.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:21 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Here are the specs for for the suspension heights from my 1999 service manual.

You might find out like I did that my suspension components have sagged a bit over the years. I have new springs and torsion bars I'll be installing later in the year.

Attached Files
Old 03-12-2024, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Here are the specs for for the suspension heights from my 1999 service manual.

You might find out like I did that my suspension components have sagged a bit over the years. I have new springs and torsion bars I'll be installing later in the year.
i really appreciate it. I have replaced all suspension parts, leafs, front and rear shocks all new front end but pitman and idle arm. I’ll try and get it to spec and check for sag. Thanks again for the reply