Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   What to do what to do? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/what-do-what-do-48290/)

BlazerX2 08-24-2010 09:56 PM

What to do what to do?

I am havin trouble deciding what I want to do....my 96 blazer's motor is shot....so I needed a new motor...I found a 97 blazer that I bought for 550...it was a city vehicle...according to them the motor is fine...only there is a leak from the oil pan...transmission is slippin...thats the only real trouble there is with the vehicle....heres where the problem comes in.....my 96 blazer is 4 door, 2wd, auto column shift, with an aftermarket radio and flowmaster dual exhaust...the 97 I bought today is 2 door, 4wd, auto, and has a floor shift....I know the parts are interchangeable...what I'm havin trouble deciding is do I swap the motor from the 97 to my 96.....or do I just swap my oil pan from my shot motor to the 97 motor and try to fix the transmission slippin problem and try to swap my radio and exhaust?...might I add that I do like that the 97 is a floor shift and 4wd..what I'm iffy about is it bein only two doors....but I am use to the 4 door my 96 has.....so what should I do?....anyones input will be greatly appreciated

Sturg 08-26-2010 10:28 PM

Personally I would go with the two door, its newer... and has 4WD!!!! :icon_wink:

As far as two doors... I sometimes wish I had 4 but if I had to choose between 4 doors or 4WD I'd go with 4WD all the way.

I dont know about you but it only takes me like 30-60 minutes to swap a stereo and as far as you're exhaust you can just chop them off and put them on the 97.

Just make sure all the parts are interchangeable...

I'm feeling a build thread!!! :) lol

ChevyBlazerChick 08-26-2010 10:59 PM

I say sell them both and buy a K5. But seriously...

Will a 2wd Tranny work with 4wd, and vise versa? That's the question, I'm not too familiar with Transmissions.

BlazerX2 08-27-2010 11:29 AM

BlazerChick...if I had the kinda money people are wanting for K5's around here I probably would get one, as for tranny...I'm not sure exactly.....Sturg...I believe I have decided to go with the 97...kinda figured it was easier and cheaper to swap a few minor things to the 97 than to swap a motor fromt he 97 to the 96....its a good runnin vehicle for the price I payed for it...my only thing is the color...its what I call "Institutional White"....lol...but I'm goin to paint it I just dont know exactly what color...I was thinkin along the line of black, dark blue, or dark green.....I'll hopefully ave a few pics posted soon....we shall see how that goes...lol

ChevyBlazerChick 08-27-2010 08:50 PM

Yeah, you'd think for being so old and such gas guzzlers they would be cheap... mine was 2000

old skool luvr 08-27-2010 09:10 PM

2WD & 4WD trans are interchangeable-but not directly.

you need to change the whole tail end of the transmissions. not an easy task, but do-able.

personally, i'd change the engines. it'll save you all the BS with having to change over a whole new truck into your name, etc.

not sure what that's like down in Florida, but up here in Ontario, you have to pass an emissions test-no exceptions. plus you have to do a safety, pay your taxes, blah, blah, blah.

ChevyBlazerChick 08-27-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 357424)
2WD & 4WD trans are interchangeable-but not directly.

you need to change the whole tail end of the transmissions. not an easy task, but do-able.

By tail end do you mean Tranny and Transfer case... along with a rear end or what? Figure I'll ask for him... plus its something I'd like to know lol.

BlazerX2 08-27-2010 09:44 PM

Down here all you gotta do is just change insurance and tag....I think changin tag is like 150...and thats all...BlazerChick...I know whatcha mean thats about the price around here for one of those

91chevywt 08-27-2010 10:30 PM

The GM 4x4 trans in the blazer will have a flange incorporated into the tailshaft so that it can bolt to the transfer case used in a 4x4 truck. The 2x4 trans will just have a tailshaft on it with a seal that the driveshaft pokes into. I wouldn't try to put a 4x4 trans into a 2x4 and vice versa...to much work for no real gain.

That being said, you should probably stick with your blazer and just swap in the new motor. I'm not too familiar with the fuel systems between those years, so it would be best to look into what you need to do with that, if anything.

With the oil pan leak, it's probably not the oil pan that is the problem, but rather the gasket. Unless there is an issue with the drain plug where the threads may be stripped.

BlazerX2 08-27-2010 10:44 PM

For some folks on here talkin about swapping transmissions....I was thinkin none of the sort just swapping the motor....however I had my mechanic check the 97 I bought and he said theres not a thing wrong with the vehicle...he said it shifts fine and there is no oil leak...where all that came from was the auction site I got it from...the auction site was a site for government and city vehicles that they are basically takin out of service...when my mechanic checked it out we basically figured all that stuff they listed wrong with it was so they could get rid of that vehicle and get another one....I have decided to just drive the 97 and swap radio and exhaust from my old 96 to the 97...the color option has changed I do believe a nice silver with perhaps a black pinstripe would look good...pics posted as soon as its ready