General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter. Why oh why does it have to be such a hassle to do that??

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I am trying something new. I ordered some tire balancing beads. I'll be installing them HOPEFULLY Friday evening if they come in by then.

I've been rocking my 31x10.5x15's for a while now COMPLETELY unbalanced. Around town they're perfectly fine, never think about their balance (or lack-there-of), but anything over 50mph is rough... I plan on taking the 'ol girl to see my father in a couple weeks for his birthday, be on the highway for 2+ hours, and REALLY don't want to put my suspension through that abuse at 70+mph for that long lol

We'll see how it goes!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

New windshield by Safelite. Next up is determining where the small oil leak is.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:46 AM
Starting Member
int3414 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter. Why oh why does it have to be such a hassle to do that??
did my rust bucket,used a dremel to cut across the bracket and good flare wrenches....maybe i had to revert to vise grips?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:14 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by int3414
did my rust bucket,used a dremel to cut across the bracket and good flare wrenches....maybe i had to revert to vise grips?
Being out west, I have only surface rust and dirt/dried mud to contend with under my Blazer but even then it is a hassle. Do replace it the way the GM manual would have you do it, you have disconnect 4 gas lines, then remove the bracket that also supports 3-4 metal gas lines. To get at the bracket you have to basically remove the bolt by braille as you cannot see it directly.

This time I was able to slowly wiggle it out forward from the bracket with the bracket still in place. I then used a pocket knife to cut away 2 of the little ridge things that supply (too much) friction for holding the filter in the bracket so it is a bit easier to get out next time.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
... Next up is determining where the small oil leak is.
Good luck with that! I've been chasing small leaks for a long time now. LOL

Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Installed some fog lights I've had kicking around for a while now. I pulled them off a C5 Corvette a while back in the salvage yard. Nothing fancy about them, just factory fog lights that hide in the bumper of the Vette. What I thought was cool is the brand, Blazer so naturally they HAD to go onto the Blazer. They're a projector style fog light with an internal cut-off so they're not blindingly bright to oncoming traffic, they have a pretty nice beam pattern for an OEM light.

When I installed my winch I completely removed my lower valance, so I had a lot of room to work with. I tried to mount them tucked in close to the uprights of the brush guard so they didn't stick out too far and just get immediately ripped off when I take the truck off pavement :P

Pretty simple mounting solution. Took the original mounts, bent half of it over, drilled a hole in the bottom of the Blazer's bumper, locked it in with a nut and bolt, and aimed left to right (up and down aiming is done with a set-screw on the light itself).

For the time being I wired them to kick on via a relay harness that ties into the parking lamp circuit. I'll run a wire into the cab in the future and put a switch near the headlight switch, or modify an OEM headlight switch with the fog light button in it to work with them.

They're VERY yellow right now, original halogen bulbs... Which I know some people prefer for fog lights, I just think they look old and "dingy"... They're also not very bright... Since they're projectors with built in cut offs, they should keep a good beam pattern with HID's, so I plan on throwing some 55w 6000k's in them to "whiten" them up a good bit and match the bulbs I have in my headlights right now

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 09-05-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:49 PM

My tire balancing beads came in the mail today, so I'll be able to throw them in tomorrow after work and see how they work out!

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Starting Member
int3414 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Being out west, I have only surface rust and dirt/dried mud to contend with under my Blazer but even then it is a hassle. Do replace it the way the GM manual would have you do it, you have disconnect 4 gas lines, then remove the bracket that also supports 3-4 metal gas lines. To get at the bracket you have to basically remove the bolt by braille as you cannot see it directly.

This time I was able to slowly wiggle it out forward from the bracket with the bracket still in place. I then used a pocket knife to cut away 2 of the little ridge things that supply (too much) friction for holding the filter in the bracket so it is a bit easier to get out next time.
speaking of fuel lines,rust bucket #2.,.,2000 jimmy,replaced gas line from filter on back,,believe this,,,you can buy an after-market line(2 piece),slide in place ,snap together,,,then hook up both ends,,,not an easy or fun job

Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Just got done winching a pizza delivery guy out from a mud hole that for some UNGODLY reason thought an overgrown trail with a "no trespassing" sign at the beginning of it was someone's driveway...

Got his little Kia about a 1/4 mile down the trail before swamping the little front wheel drive in a water filled mud hole. HOW he didn't suck in any water is beyond me...

Tried to dead pull him but just spun. Actually had to unreel the winch and tug him out.

Worked great!

Then he attempted to back out and within 30 seconds was off to a ditch on the side, stuck again...

Reeled out the winch, pulled him out, and he attempted to back out again...

aaaaand was back into the same ditch AGAIN within 30 seconds...

Pulled him out AGAIN, and this time he managed to back the rest of the way out.

and somehow take down the "no trespassing" sign on the way...

video incoming... it was quite an amusing situation lol

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?