General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
Madson26 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Zr2 flares suck at getting off! Was lucky mine where going on a four door and getting cut up anyways, didnt need the mounting tabs on the back.

best of luck!
Understatement of the year... Good luck getting them off in one piece. And to my knowledge, nobody makes a replacement anymore. We are almost officially dealing with "classic cars" these days.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:36 AM
Beginning Member
razorguy is on a distinguished road

Replaced yet another lower ball joint yesterday. Didn't realize how bad it was. These past few months I thought my tie rod bushings were causing a squeak going over bumps (no tie rod play so I haven't worried about it) but it turned out to be my lower passenger ball joint because the front end is silent now.

About to hit 165k on the old gal and have had it since around 80k and it looks like the passenger upper is still original since it is still riveted in. Pretty impressive.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:39 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Madson26
Understatement of the year... Good luck getting them off in one piece. And to my knowledge, nobody makes a replacement anymore. We are almost officially dealing with "classic cars" these days.
You can still get flares from Jungle Fender Flares... They are like the ZR2 ones.
Bushwacker still makes them, too. But they are closer to ZR5 style... They don't stick out as much.

I was like DonL, putting them on my 4 door. So I ended up chiseling the aluminum rivets off, and popping them off that way. I did buy a new front bumper with the two little flare pieces on it still. So that's a start.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:04 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Swapped street rubbers on my Camaro 16"s to something a little wider so the truck doesn't look so demasculinized when I'm running them instead of my mud terrains lol. They ride buttery smooth compared to the MT's, but they're just meant to be my highway set. Taking the 'ol girl for a little trip this coming up weekend

Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road
Default Bunch of stuff last 24 hours

Yesterday measured the ride height (per the stock trim ride height measurement on forum) and well yea, 21 years it was sagging. Last night installed a set of leaf spring helpers and gave the front torsion bars 5 turns and remeasured. Nice, effectively gained 1.25” rear, 1.10” front and whole thing a lot stiffer, more truck like. (Thinking now my boat won’t sag the rear so much) Then after doing the required “just gaze at it period” went to bed. This morn off to the alignment shop. New Moog idler arm installed and then aligned. Very nice, steering slop gone and tracks like a bullet. Last stop tire shop. 4 new 235/75r15 all season tires. Ahh, much better. Rides quite, handles firmly and owner much happier! Threw the old Goodyear AT tires in rear hatch. My son wants to slap em on his spare rim set for his Jeep Cherokee, he been ruining his AT-31’s with all the street use and the old tires have plenty of tread life left, I just did not like the noise or ride. Friday eve doing the fuel tank drop and replace pump, strainer, filter etc. I upfront admit I’m spoiled having a insulated heated 2 car garage/man cave. (Wife has entire living room as a scrapbooking room so we even).

Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Beginning Member
Finnblaze is on a distinguished road
Default Some fresh air

Got the blazer out from garage, drove some for testing the new tires, good traction not so good braking (ice under the snow almost everywhere).

Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Ice? Snow? What is that? Springtime here, been in upper 55-65f (12-18c) with too much rain. Those look like mud tires? (MT) braking on snow not going to be great, the blocky tread good at tossing snow and mud out but limited contact patch when on brakes. Nice contrast photo tho.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Beginning Member
Finnblaze is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Ice? Snow? What is that? Springtime here, been in upper 55-65f (12-18c) with too much rain. Those look like mud tires? (MT) braking on snow not going to be great, the blocky tread good at tossing snow and mud out but limited contact patch when on brakes. Nice contrast photo tho.
Hankook rt03 tires su Something between mt and at... yesterday morning we had -20c here in eastern Finland... waiting for spring, maybe in a month or so...

Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Shhhhh!!!! Don't tell She who must be obeyed that I bought a set of rear leaf springs from GeneralSpringKC for my 2001 ZR2. I live local to them so I was able to pick them up.

Now I am getting a pile of parts...Flaming River steering joint, donor steering shaft, set of skid plates, new rear plastic section for when I replace the springs...current one broken. and the springs and u bolts.

Time where can I get more of that?????

Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
Time where can I get more of that?????
There are piles of projects in my garage. Luckily, it's going to warm up next week. Hope you aren't getting too flooded out in KC.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?