General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Well, my son blew through not one but two red lights on the way to work a while back. Stopped and started trying to figure out if there was a vacuum line off causing him to lose brakes. Turned out he was out of brake fluid. When I investigated the problem I found a blown wheel cylinder on the driver's side. We changed out both wheel cylinders and the brake shoes and then proceeded to bleed the brakes. When I went to the front passenger side I discovered the shock was leaking. Upon checking I saw the driver's side was leaking as well. The next day we changed out the front shocks. Nothing fancy. Just an OEM shock although I wish we'd had the money to invest in something heavy duty.

We talked about putting new shocks on the back in the near future and my son questioned whether we could put air shocks on the back since we sometimes use it to pull a trailer with a little weight in it.

I honestly don't know if that is a good idea.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 11-05-2020, 04:13 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

They wod definitely help. And is doable. I've been contemplating putting a set of my blazer to help pull my camper. But it's a summer issue now lol.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
Default Air Shocks on 4x4

Originally Posted by DonL
They wod definitely help. And is doable. I've been contemplating putting a set of my blazer to help pull my camper. But it's a summer issue now lol.
I would worry that if he ever went four wheeling he might pop a shock and lose both rear shocks. Are you considering replacing the originals with air shocks or is there a type of helper air shock you're considering?

Old 11-05-2020, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Personally, I wouldn't use air shocks. The shock mounts (especially the uppers, IMO) aren't designed to support weight, and really aren't all that strong.

If you do use them, they would probably be fine with low to moderate air pressure, but I think running them at higher pressures will eventually cause the mounts to crack.

Just my .

Old 11-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
Default Two Cents

Originally Posted by Tom A
Personally, I wouldn't use air shocks. The shock mounts (especially the uppers, IMO) aren't designed to support weight, and really aren't all that strong.

If you do use them, they would probably be fine with low to moderate air pressure, but I think running them at higher pressures will eventually cause the mounts to crack.

Just my .
Thanks for throwing in your two cents. I appreciate you sharing your opinion. I'll pass it on to my son.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Starting Member
Denise Kneeskern is on a distinguished road
Talking

Replaced the stock mirrors with D45 mirrors. Since I had to take the interior door panels off I cleaned them and put WD40 on my window cranks.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

Building battery bank out of 5 spare fire alarm batts ive got. 2 are 7 amp and 3 are 12 amp.Will use this for rear cig lighter, power inverter , and etc

Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 PM
Jimmybuild is on a distinguished road

Did the quad headlamp mod on my 96 jimmy with a 98 blazer front end conversion..then added led headlight bulbs. What a difference. Now when i want the extra light its like driving in daylight. Great mod

Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Replaced an axle shaft. Hmm... something doesn't look right here.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Nothing a little JB Weld can't fix

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?