General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I replaced the glass in my liftgate! Super easy but you have to watch out for the glass coming down on your head if you don't have both struts in place!

I picked up the glass during my last trip the U-Pull lot as I was tired of trying to repair the electrical defroster traces. I figured I'd be money ahead buying a full replacement. Now I just need to see if it works!

Old 10-29-2022, 07:39 PM
Starting Member
BlazerDog97S10 is on a distinguished road

Did an oil change and replaced the front crankshaft seal on the timing cover. Took a little over 4 hours. Didn't use power tools to challenge myself. So fun.

I didn't do the entire timing cover because well...it's not leaking or appears to be leaking. Plus don't got time right now for that. I'll do timing cover next oil change at 136k miles

OLD!

NEW!

Last edited by BlazerDog97S10; 10-29-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
Currently in the process of replacing the inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, passenger side hub, driver's side axle seal. upper control arm bushing, possibly lca bushings, pitman and idler arms. I did all of this about 14-15 years ago. Reason for doing it again is 75% of the boots have deteriorated and uca bushings are basically non-existent. Reason I discovered all of this is the last time I drove the Blazer was almost two years ago and the front end sounded like someone pouring milk over a bowl of rice crispies.

So, I decided to get it done before hunting starts up next month for me, my wife, cousin and his son. Figured I could get it done in a day, two at the most. Nope. Seems spending more time offroad than on the highway makes things much dirtier and nuts and bolts more wanting to stay put than to be removed. Already used the torch about three times and used up a half a can of PB Blaster. Ball joints don't want to let go, along with the tie rods. Almost done with the passenger side, and it has only take 3 days thus far.

Keep in mind the morning temps are a bit on the chill side, so I've been waiting for the sun to swing around until it is shining on the Blazer which happens around 1pm. So I'm getting in about 4-5 hours a day of work in. I also have other things that need done around the house and have to run down to the Springs at least once a week for various things. Not to forget that Saturdays are out due to college football.

The good news is that we have other vehicles that we use on a daily basis, as the Blazer has finally turned in the vehicle I had originally bought for. Hunting, camping, fishing and the occasional offroad fun.

I just did the inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, front axle seals, wheel seals upper/lower control arm bushings, and CV's earlier this year on my 97 2 door 4x4. So much fun.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I replaced the glass in my liftgate! Super easy but you have to watch out for the glass coming down on your head if you don't have both struts in place!

I picked up the glass during my last trip the U-Pull lot as I was tired of trying to repair the electrical defroster traces. I figured I'd be money ahead buying a full replacement. Now I just need to see if it works!
Always nice to have "new" glass. Those pull-it yards sure are the way to go to get those hard to find parts. Always sad to see once nice Blazers or any vehicle in those yards, but at least their parts aren't going to waste. I've been looking for those mounting brackets that attach the oil pan skid plate to. I'm most likely going to have to make some.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:47 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I pulled two rusty tow hooks at my local U-Pull it junk yard. I blasted, primed, painted and installed them on my 89 S15 Jimmy. The truck I pulled them from had the same style frame rails as my S15 Jimmy, I had to locate and drill two holes in each frame rail. See attached pictures.

Great job. Every time I work on my Blazer I "de-rust" it more and more. Virtually no rust on my boy.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:48 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerDog97S10
Did an oil change and replaced the front crankshaft seal on the timing cover. Took a little over 4 hours. Didn't use power tools to challenge myself. So fun.

I didn't do the entire timing cover because well...it's not leaking or appears to be leaking. Plus don't got time right now for that. I'll do timing cover next oil change at 136k miles

OLD!

NEW!
I did not know this was actually doable!

What I really need to do is replace the whole timing chain cover and perhaps even replace the rear main seal. They weep oil and it is just annoying to me. I wish it was not such a head-ache to do these.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:04 AM
Starting Member

I did not know this was actually doable!

What I really need to do is replace the whole timing chain cover and perhaps even replace the rear main seal. They weep oil and it is just annoying to me. I wish it was not such a head-ache to do these.
Yes I thought I needed to replace the entire cover but turns out I can get away with just the front seal. Only tools I bought was a harmonic balancer puller/installer kit from Amazon. If I can do it in a little over 4 hours of just hand tools and without removing the radiator then anyone can. I replaced the rear seal last year when I had the transmission out. I need to do replace the flywheel, pressure plate, friction disc and slave cylinder soon so...gonna make a rig to hold up the transmission/transfer case and just pull them back just far enough to do the work without having to split them and drain and drop them. When there's a will there's a way. Want to get that done before December.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran

Oil, oil filter, front end lube, front axle oil replace, fuel filter (I hate this one the most), brake flush.

Whew! Time for a beer!

Old 10-30-2022, 11:18 PM
Starting Member

Oil, oil filter, front end lube, front axle oil replace, fuel filter (I hate this one the most), brake flush.

Whew! Time for a beer!
Always beer afterwards. But usually before and during also in my case. Haha! Only way I can get through without going through a wall like the Juggernaut from X-Men.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:49 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlazerDog97S10
Always beer afterwards. But usually before and during also in my case. Haha! Only way I can get through without going through a wall like the Juggernaut from X-Men.
I hear that!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?