Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   what have you gotten done on your blazer today? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/what-have-you-gotten-done-your-blazer-today-34401/)

tibby 01-21-2012 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 491264)
Tibby I know what you're going through. Been there & am going through it again. No matter what, always remember even when you can't think things can get worse - they can!
First off in reality it isn't THAT big of a deal. What pisses you off is that you got swept up with this & that & expected things to be right & all is good only for reality to bite you in the ass.
I know that feeling all too well when I got my 20,000 mile replacement engine for my blazer. Got a Lunati cam, Pro Comp Ultra roller rockers etc - a full valve train new & upgraded, the supercharger & intake installed& all the plumbing for fuel etc. Just to find that the donor motor has a bad wrist bearing, connecting rod to piston bearing. Dude that was $5000 with the cam, rockers, R/R & not to mention the synthetic oil afterwords, gasket sets etc.

I thought OOOOH FINELY I'll have my truck (CB) ready & waiting/willing to freak people out! Thats a BLAZER that just flew past us? Yup I was stoked only to be let down & have to do it all over again.

Lots of grains of salt - that's life sorry man. Truly I am & I hate allowing myself to get swept up before I know the truth. IE the shop I brought my truck to for the R/R of the engine etc, his wife asks if I'm excited .... I laughed & said NO, not 'till it's running & I'm driving it for a month or 2 without issue!
She was kind of baffled at my response - & now it has to go back, so I suppose she understands.

Yeah, I completely understand, things can always get worse. And I believe I got swept in when somebody on here had the same 17x9 camaro wheels and they worked for him, but then I have all these problems. I've saved up for awhile and have been waiting months for them to finally be put on just to get let down and have to sell them. There is no one else to blame besides myself and now I am suffering the consequences of I guess my own stupidity. Looks like I'll hit up the yard tomorrow for 15 inch camaro wheels and sell these 17 inch ones.

Rottidog 01-21-2012 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by tibby (Post 491268)
Yeah, I completely understand, things can always get worse. And I believe I got swept in when somebody on here had the same 17x9 camaro wheels and they worked for him, but then I have all these problems. I've saved up for awhile and have been waiting months for them to finally be put on just to get let down and have to sell them. There is no one else to blame besides myself and now I am suffering the consequences of I guess my own stupidity. Looks like I'll hit up the yard tomorrow for 15 inch camaro wheels and sell these 17 inch ones.

It's not stupidity buddy - we're men. Ask any woman if men rush into things (mechanical) & 94% of them will say YES my man does! The other 6% of men are lawyers etc that pay to have people figure things out for them or just buy $70,000 vehicles.

How many times have I thought (in reflection) geeze I wish I would have or damnit I should have or why the "F" didn't I stop & think or research more... I don't have enough room in here for that lol.
Hindsight is a ummm "female dog in heat" :icon_cool:

Rottidog 01-21-2012 11:47 PM

Hey, just a thought about your dilemma, what about wheel spacers? That might work if you push the rims out 1/4" - 1/2".

If it does - you owe me a few beer! lol

BTW get on the door bushing issue, trust me. If you don't replace them then you'll have to grind the rivits off, drill them out & replace the door hinge brackets if they wear too much. That's like 10X the effort (at least) & 3X the $ (if you get junk yard parts). Bushings & pins are $15 IF you get ripped off & pay too much. Replacing the hinge brackets will be a major PITA if you let the pins wear into the door or body mounted hinge brackets.

tibby 01-21-2012 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 491272)
Hey, just a thought about your dilemma, what about wheel spacers? That might work if you push the rims out 1/4" - 1/2".

If it does - you owe me a few beer! lol

I'm not gonna lie, wheel spacers scare the $#%& out of me. The tire shop I went to, all the guys said spacers were a bad idea. And one guy there said a spacer came off at 120 and his wheel popped off and he went spinning around and around. Idk, I have heard mixed things about spacers. Whatcha think? And if I'm thinking right, the 17x9 camaro wheels that I have only have 6.875 backspacing. That is the problem I'm assuming, the backspacing needs to be lower in the 4 range. I really hate to sell these wheels though...

Rottidog 01-22-2012 12:05 AM

You're looking at 2-1/2" spacers - 6-7/8 compared to lower 4's? Not happening for sure. Something is wrong in my math or ... something. 6.875 is 6-7/8" that's over half a foot!
Spacers up to 1/2" are good if the wheel lugs are in good condition & torqued properly. After that I think you can get longer studs but can run into issues. Not a realm I've delved in to though.

tibby 01-22-2012 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 491277)
You're looking at 2-1/2" spacers - 6-7/8 compared to lower 4's? Not happening for sure. Something is wrong in my math or ... something. 6.875 is 6-7/8" that's over half a foot!
Spacers up to 1/2" are good if the wheel lugs are in good condition & torqued properly. After that I think you can get longer studs but can run into issues. Not a realm I've delved in to though.

That's the thing. I bought brand new locking lugs, I bought used but mint condition wheel centers and had the camaro wheels powdercoated black and then this happens. Crappy luck. But I know they have a backspacing of around 6-7/8" and they need at least I'd say an inch and a half if not two inches to not rub frame or hit the hanger in the back.

Rottidog 01-22-2012 12:25 AM

Yeah man I feel for ya, but that set up doesn't look promising.
Hey, used but in mint condition = great resale value! You can get something that might be better in your tastes. Personally I love DC-1's or 2's for rims. They look cool, enough black & then the aluminum to offset things. If you're set on the 5 spoke, search around because there are lots in our 5 x 4.75 wheel styles.

Ummm whats a '96's lug measurement? I'm not sure it's the same as mine is all.

catch ya in the morning - I'm off to give my pillow some head.

tibby 01-22-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 491283)
Yeah man I feel for ya, but that set up doesn't look promising.
Hey, used but in mint condition = great resale value! You can get something that might be better in your tastes. Personally I love DC-1's or 2's for rims. They look cool, enough black & then the aluminum to offset things. If you're set on the 5 spoke, search around because there are lots in our 5 x 4.75 wheel styles.

Ummm whats a '96's lug measurement? I'm not sure it's the same as mine is all.

catch ya in the morning - I'm off to give my pillow some head.

I think it's the same as yours. The lug size is 12mmx1.5. should be same on all late camaros and all blazers.

This link

LucasMI 01-22-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tibby (Post 491257)
What did I do to the blazer today? Hmm... it has been a bittersweet day. First off the body lift was successful and the idler arm and sway bar have been replaced. It now drives with much less give and I can take corners like usually instead of slowing down to almost a stop. For some reason my drivers door is acting weird like it needs new bushings or something. When you open it, it drops a little and when closing it goes back up, like it isn't level.

Ok, now to the big part. The wheels and tires getting replaced... This is a long story and depresses me as well as pisses me off. This was a day long ordeal. So I went to the tire shop to get new a/t's in a 265/70/17. Had my 17x9 camaro wheels ready to go with brand new black locking lugs and center caps too! The mounting process went good and he put one wheel and tire on the front... This a/t plus the camaro wheel looked like a great combo, but problems... First problem, they wouldn't sell me tires because they hit the frame at a little more than 1/2 lock. Safety issue. Also, they tried putting the tire and wheel on the back and it hit a hanger for the emergency brake line. The hanger was literally rubbing up against the tire and that was also a safety issue. So basically #^$% the 17x9 camaro wheels. I have had enough of this ****! Like I've said, I'm still pretty upset and am now forced to sell the 17x9 camaro wheels, locking lugs, and center caps. So let me know if you are interested! Good day and FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_rant:

wheel spacers..

xgiovannix12 01-22-2012 01:01 PM

I just got done fixing the damage i did the other day to my dads truck

it looks better then before and IM happy its all done

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...2/PICT1457.jpg
blazer looks nasty with the salt on it =(