General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Roberto Lavin Lopez is on a distinguished road

Today made the compressión test. Weir, the test gets around 145 / 150 PSI at the second stroke (around 90 / 120 PSI at the first), and keep around 145/150 next strokes.
Just test 4 cylinder, n°3 cannot access, and °6 had repair thread for spark plug, so can't measure.

Owner 1 - Blazer 999

Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Beginning Member
m0perale is on a distinguished road

This has been an ongoing project for me.

Developed the dreaded coolant leak a little while back. I changed my intake manifold gaskets, followed the guide to a T, put it all together (though had doubt with the distributor because stupid me, marked on the lower manifold, but cleaned off the mark... d'oh!). I have a pretty close to photographic memory, though, and did mark the rotor to distributor orientation, so I think I got it in right. Replaced the valve cover gaskets while I was down there; figured I might as well.

Anyway, I put it all back together, went to fire it up and it fired but revved real high (like 3K) and then sputtered out and died. I gave her some gas, and after a short time, she would stay on by herself, but would rev up and down by herself. Terrible smell, running like hell, sputters, mini-backfires in the throttle body area. I thought it was that distributor was off, so I took it out, put it back on TDC, put it back in, etc. Still the same result.

I did fuel pressure tests, they looked good, although the leakdown was right at the low end.

My father-in-law said in his experience, those symptoms sounded like a fuel pressure regulator problem. Of course, where is mine? 99 Blazer, 4.3L... you guessed it. Inside the upper manifold. All that work to go back in and do it again! Anyway, he's out for Christmas so we tackled the job again.

Replaced the FPR, and upon inspecting the cap/rotor, we decided to replace those, too. (First time.... 140K miles. I think it was overdue). Did the plugs, because why not? They were pretty fouled as well. We also cleaned the fuel injectors, and throttle body.

Put 'er all back together today. Primed the fuel pump a few times to build up some pressure, turned the key and she fired up! I honestly had more or less given up hope on getting this done myself. She runs smooth now.

Soon I'll be getting some new tires and a front end alignment. My hood release latch busted off a while back (needle nose pliers for now) and my driver side window has stopped working for the moment (haven't had a chance to diagnose that).

Anyway, I'm just happy she fired up and is running smooth! Tomorrow I'll change the oil and give her a well deserved bath.

Sorry if this post was too long, but I had to share

Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 AM
J_E
Beginning Member
J_E is on a distinguished road

I mostly finished up my AWD conversion on my Blazer!! The driveline is in, buttoned up and tested, on a lift, with no wierd noises. I just need to finish plumbing my transmission cooler, wiring my efan and extend the lead for my VSS about 6 inches.

Pic:

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-photobucket-7902-1356216746365.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 AM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

to alexquade, i replaced my stock steering box with an astro van box, direct bolt in, and i used 1.5" dom tubing for the tie rods with 5/8" heims joints and a 2" xj drop pitman arm.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 99cbsuv
Purchased and had mounted a set of Firestone Winterforce tires. .........
Good choice.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-blazerfirestonewinterforce.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Got some goodies today that came in! I was surprised because some of them weren't suppose to arrive til at least after Christmas, some even a week into January. A++ shipping job USPS!

Anybody like guessing games? Guess what everything is in the picture?

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-2012-12-24141243_zps0f9cc911.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-2012-12-24140229_zpsfec9bbba.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough

Christmas Eve was good to me, my girlfriend got me 5000k hid's from hid extra, so I installed them. Woot woot, they look great, plus I have an appointment to get my dual exhaust done (not true duals) next week ! Hope everyone has a good Christmas!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
Got some goodies today that came in! I was surprised because some of them weren't suppose to arrive til at least after Christmas, some even a week into January. A++ shipping job USPS!

Anybody like guessing games? Guess what everything is in the picture?

Gator back, aftermarket radio harness and amp wiring?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Thogert
Gator back, aftermarket radio harness and amp wiring?
Haha you're too good Thog!

Got a longer belt and an ad244 alternator to install. Thought I'd try the Gator back belt because everyone raves about them. And may I say the radio wiring harnesses are much cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else. So are the amp kits. Glad I went with KnuKonceptz's wiring and kits. They were recommended by someone on this forum. Can't remember his name off the top of my head though...

Edit: Shout out to altoncustomtech

Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM
J_E
Beginning Member
J_E is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I have 96 which adjustable.

Unles you or a previous owner have installed aftermarket studs and rockers, the rockers on your 96 are not adjustable. The studs have a shoulder on them and the nuts are torqued to 20 ft-lbs.

The rockers were not adjustable in my '94 4.3 TBI, nor were they adjustable in my '97 vin 'W'. They weren't adjustable in my current 4.3 until I went aftermarket and installed studs and full roller rockers with poly locks.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?