General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Today I have gotten nothing done sofar, but it is 12:18am. when I am done with work, I will start to take apart the drivers side of the jimmy (fender and inner fender) to replace the upper cab mounts and a couple other misc pieces of sheet metal that is bad. by the end of the weekend, the driver side will be perfect, then all I need to do is the passengers side, which is not nearly as bad as the drivers side.

I just hope we get a good weekend that is "warm" to do the passenger side... which is hard to come by in MN in October.

But as long as I get the drivers side done, I am fine with waiting until spring for the pass side.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Took the Blazer on it's maiden voyage this year on the new fuel pump. Transferred the plates off that Focus that I rebuilt the engine on last year. Finally sold it ... to a guy in Africa!! LOL! The guy won the auction back in June .. and the shipping company JUST picked it up last week! Thing is trashed from sitting all that time. Oh well!

Anyway ... the Blazer's been sitting off the road since fall of '12. Same fuel too! Runs better than ever! All the drivability issues I'd been having with it were related to a slowly failing external fuel pump. So narrowing the gap on all the plugs last year was just a band-aid. Did a 25 mile round trip with several stops - started right up instantly the way I wish all FI vehicles would.

Now, if I ever get this heating system installed in my house, I might actually start working on the front differential. Some great news I just stumbled upon - the RPO code in the glove box shows the exact same gear ratio as our old, parted-out '00 Jimmy ... and I still have the whole front diff sitting here! Free parts if I need them! Sweeeet!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

wish me luck tonight guys, and this weekend, I start to tear into the jimmy to replace the upper cab mounts....

Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
BF Veteran

Got the nuts welded to the upper cab mounts, that went smoothly, welds are really strong, even though they look like crap, who cares what it looks like when you cant see them.
Tomorrow morning I start tearing the truck apart to do the drivers side. if it goes smooth, will do the passenger side this weekend as well, not counting on that.

so the upper cab mounts had a half inch hole in them where the bolt goes through, so what I ended up doing to cover that hole so I would weld the nut was cut a 2x2" square of 16 gauge steel, and drilled a hole in it that was just big enough for the bolt to fit through, then I centered that over the hole, used tape to hold it in place to attach the nut on the other side and tightened it down to keep it in place

Than I did multiple spot welds on the nut, and the 16 gauge plate.
Glad I practiced on a scrap piece before I started, I was rusty, being I have not welded anything since 10th grade or so.

*edit*

This evening I prepped the upper cab mounts and floor pans to be welded together, put a bead of panel bond adhesive on the 2 and clamped them together.
When I wake up tomorrow, I will put multiple spot welds around the cab mount to floor board area, then start taking apart the drivers side and cut out rusty metal.

This is more steps than anyone would take, but I have OCD.. Simply put, if its not right in my head, its not right at all LOL

Last edited by richphotos; 10-12-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Today was a win!! Went to my bosses house and trimmed some limbs and drug them into the woods. Actual work time was about 2.5-3 hours and made $500. Not bad for a rainy Saturday morning! More blazer money for me.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^^^dude rex,u gotta become best friends with the guy. apparently hes not up to date with the poor pay these days ha.

FML I just edited your post rather than quote it sorry man I suck at life!!

Haha he's my boss/owner of the company I work for he's like family after three yrs now. I actually saved him $1500 From the cheapest estimate he got so he was happy to pay me $500 and I was even happier to take it lol. He's got a ton of work he wants me to help him with at his new house and we agreed on $50hr cash for any future work I do. Best part is Monday he gave me a new iPad Tuesday a $5k a yr raise and today $500 for my little bit of work I think I'll keep my job

Last edited by rexmburns; 10-12-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

I've been needing an oil change, and had a squeak on the front passenger side that's been annoying me, so today I went to one of the quick oil change and lube places that starts with a "V". I know, I know, but I did it anyway, lol.

And I'm wishing I didn't......
Check this out; The dirty SOB's tried to rip me off. They did the oil change, but skipped the lube! (the MAIN reason I went there)
As I drove out of the bay, sure enough, I hear a SQUEAK, squeak squeak.
Sooo, I pull into the parking lot and inspect the zerk fittings, boots, etc for signs that they'd been lubed.
Uh huh, they hadn't been touched. Not a single one.
Of course the manager claimed the work was done correctly, until he saw for himself it wasn't done at all!
On the Plus side for him, he had me pull right back in and did the work himself.
Yeah!! No more squeak!!
My next oil change/lube is free too.

After that I went to Auto Zone for some Vacuum line. LOL, they only had like 14" of the size I needed. I need around 18". Bummer.
So instead I bought new rear brake pads and rotors. I'll be putting them on tomorrow.

That was my day so far, lol

Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran

Sooooo far so good, kinda.... I have the fender off, body jacked up, started cutting and broke the blade on the jig saw, cant find the damn angle grinder with the cut off wheel.

Also, dont get lug nuts from napa, ever.. they are garbage. I cant get one off, i have tried ever method, I am running out of options here and am open to suggestions.

what I have tried, first, it stripped with the 19mm
so I pounded on an 18, this worked before with a previous napa lug nut
that stripped as well
so I went to sears to get the 1/2 drive sockets that help get off stripped bolts... that failed too
so my buddy came over with a nice torch, heated it up a lot, pounded on a 17mm socket, and that stripped it too, I am not sure why its on so tight, I didnt have this problem with any of the others.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

rich. this bs happened to me. sorta. moron at the tire shop cross threaded my lugnut. i had to get a 1/2" drill bit,and drill out the lug. such bs!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chris015
rich. this bs happened to me. sorta. moron at the tire shop cross threaded my lugnut. i had to get a 1/2" drill bit,and drill out the lug. such bs!
I might have to do that and get a new wheel stud... fuggg

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?