General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have personally used Fram for over 1/2 million miles on two trucks. IF you want to add in teh fleet of vehiles I maintain for my family, we are close to 1 million miles. No problems from any Fram filter, and no engine issues either.

I personally dont care what crap the others spew about how "bad" Fram filters are, I have NEVER had a problem.

What it comes done to is marketing hype. I dont have the time to explain it in this thread. Do the research and find out why they compare themselves to FRam. ITs one of the simplest ways to make a name for yourself, and charge a premium. IT doesnt cost any more to make the filter, the cost difference goes right into marketing.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

My opinion... if it's a new filter, changed when it should be (3000 miles), removes particulates down to (whatever microns) & doesn't drop oil pressure - it's doing what it should. Get that one for your REGULARLY SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE!! Regular & maintenance<--- 2 key things people should adhere to.

Bash the rest & use what does it for you with the above parameters.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
Boosted2M6 is on a distinguished road

Seven pages about..... oil filters?

Seriously?

Wow.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran

Only 3 pages but mine are set at 50 posts per I think lol... I agree WOW.
Do it like it should be done & make sure the filter captures like is recommended. <--- That's the bottom line IMO (Stone Cold Steve Austin) lol

Also if you want to be particular you can get a magnetic strap that goes around the filter. I haven't been that particular but I will be (especially with the $ I have in that engine!). I know my oil pans drain plug has a magnet but what would it hurt to have another around the oil filter? Trap an older engines metallic crap in the filter that's to be disposed?! Makes sense to me & wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by Rottidog; 04-20-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

oil filters should be a major topic as well as all areas in mantaining your blazer. look people these trucks are not getting any younger and i dont know about u i want 500 k out of mine ... unfortunately i see ten years from now less of us will be on bf because they traded it in or the engine died but i wont be one of em... my blazer will be my casket and when it is i want a good filter in there to handle the climate change on the way to offroad heaven lol....

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran

Your good filter is the one you change every 3000 miles & in hell or heaven you may get a few more out of it lol, depending if you go synthetic.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Your good filter is the one you change every 3000 miles & in hell or heaven you may get a few more out of it lol, depending if you go synthetic.
Haha! This is what I like about this forum. The humor. =P

But right now I'm hooked on Bosch oil filters! I like the capacity of the filter and it has held up well. I think I'm about 3k to 3500k in and everything still looks gravy (good). The only thing I had to do was add half a quart so far. Of course I used Valvoline full synthetic with the Bosch filter. I'm hoping to get around 5500 to 6k out of this oil change. We will see...

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Beginning Member
sportjunkee is on a distinguished road

AMSOIL filters and oil only. Never had problems what so ever. Best on the planet.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Changing it every 3000 miles is outdated. Read your owners manual. The whole reason the 3000 miles came into being is because the oil wasnt near as good as it is today.

Per your owners manual. 3000 miles is only if you drive in extreme conditions. Stop and go traffic (taxi cab), mountains, towing, or severe dusty environment. 90% of the population never drives in extreme conditions.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

i have always used fram in my truck and now the blazer but the oil pressure had drops to about 20psi at a stop light im also running vavoline high millage in the blazer. so my question is it the filter that caused the drop in oil pressure or something else? and im gonna cut the fram apart when i change the oil on my truck and likewise with the one on the blazer. so what filter is actully better or worse to use? i have a purolater factory near where i live. i thought about a wix or but a napa filter back on to see if my oil pressure comes back up.

Quick Reply: What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?