General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Worth repairing our Blazer???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah please for ****z a giggles get us a half dozens shots of this suspect damage and improperly installed diff would ya? And that intake fix is totally do-able yourself for about 50 bucks as long as you have patience and some basic sockets and wrenches.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
Dave's 97 is on a distinguished road

Hi my name is David and on the intake Chevy had a recall on the blazer for that and the dealer fixed mine for no charge and I got mine used so u might want to check that out and you can fix swaybar with help from a friend

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
redtransparent is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pictures?? I highly doubt that things would have to be cut out.

I'm quite the novice when it comes to these sorts of repairs- I think they need to cut the bolts (locked up?) that holds the diff on now, then make a new bracket and re-attach.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

stubborn bolts are nothing when faced with a bfh and a wrench

Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
IrvJr is on a distinguished road

Where are you located? I bet someone could swing by and take a look, and if someone has a similiar vehicle you can compare the setup and see whats diffferent. Intake is easy, did it on my 98 Hoe.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

don't order a new sway bar. I picked one up from the junk yard for $20 and the end links are like another $10 from advance auto, and that baffles me about the front diff since it can really on sit in there one way, did someone rig some home made brackets? I'd like to see pics of this too

Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
don't order a new sway bar. I picked one up from the junk yard for $20 and the end links are like another $10 from advance auto, and that baffles me about the front diff since it can really on sit in there one way, did someone rig some home made brackets? I'd like to see pics of this too
Thanks, that should make things cheaper. As for pictures of the diff, its still in the shop right now, but i'll be going there tomorrow- with a camera.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Default Pictures!

Here are some pictures of the underside:

The first one is the driveshaft rubbing against the bell housing. The next one shows where the front diff mount was welded on (rusty spot in the middle). the next one shows that the axel on the front left is sticking out over an inch from where it should be. the next one shows shims on one of the brackets, so the bracket is probably bent. He also said the control arms on the front left were a bit out of whack (last picture). Funny though, he didn't think the sway bar was really bent like the other mechanic did. He did think it might be a 1500-2000 dollar fix, with all the parts and labor.

Attached Thumbnails Worth repairing our Blazer???-jan-feb11-089.jpg   Worth repairing our Blazer???-jan-feb11-090.jpg   Worth repairing our Blazer???-jan-feb11-093.jpg   Worth repairing our Blazer???-jan-feb11-094.jpg   Worth repairing our Blazer???-jan-feb11-095.jpg  

Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I'm completely baffled by those pictures. do you have any further away pics of the whole undercarriage up front?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Yeah, sorry. I should have taken some pics from farther away. the major problems are shown in the second and fourth pictures. in the second picture, its the upper left differential mount that was welded on by someone (incorrectly). View from behind left tire, looking forward.

The the fourth picture (view from middle of car looking towards right front tire) shows the axel(?) where it bolts to the bracket above it. whoever last "fixed" it, had to add those shims to make everything else line up.

hope that helps. just looking at the vehicle from the front, you could see the right tire slanting in quite a bit at the top too.

Quick Reply: Worth repairing our Blazer???